We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Toronto in February

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Topic
visiting Toronto in February

Hi,

Thanks for all the great information. We are interested in seeing a hockey game and the game that's on while we are there is Maple Leafs vs Montreal. Tickets are not on sale on the ticketmaster site, do you know where else I can get two tickets?

Thanks

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Toronto in February

This game has been sold-out for months. However, you do have some options, unfortunately they are expensive options. Try "Google" and type in the two teams and the date. You will find very many websites selling tickets for this game at a very inflated price (ticket brokers). Some of these ticket brokers have a reputation for being somewhat shoddy so be wary if you go that route. You may also find tickets on Ebay....but again, they'll cost more than they're worth.

Another option is to go down to the Air Canada Center about 1 hour before the game and buy them from 'scalpers". Be prepared to pay close to double the cost for your seats.

Toronto and Montreal have a very storied rivalry and when Montreal comes to the ACC it's one the toughest games to find tickets for all season.

Edited: 17 November 2011, 16:51
oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,506 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Toronto in February

Also the most expensive tickets in the league Stubhub. Com has that game on sale now with cheapest seats( top row rail seats) for $399. Going up to $800 for platinum level seats. That is for one ticket.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Toronto in February

Hi WeekendVisit0r,

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM

And I see that you are also Brand NEW to the TA FORUMS... so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

I cannot tell you how hottly contested this rivalry between these two Canadian Teams is...

One is the most successful Franchise when it comes to STANLEY CUP WINS in the NHL (Montreal) and the other the most successful Franchise in regards to SELL OUTS in the NHL... continually being able to sell out their arena win or lose (Toronto) for like about a half-century !!

Toronto's Air Canada Centre for a Leafs Game is a hard ticket to get any time... just sooo many Season Ticket Holders... but bring the Montreal Canadiens to town, and well it is goes from UNLIKELY to pretty much IMPOSSIBLE (infact Leaf Fans are some of the biggest Travellers in the NHL... as many only can get to games when their team is playing in another city on a road-trip)

Unless you have very very deep pockets... I'm guessing this dream of seeing an NHL Game while in Toronto is a no-go.

Tell us... is your trip to Canada include any other cities? If so you may have better luck catching a game.... Or is it truly a "Weekend Visit" as your TA User Name implies?

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 17 November 2011, 19:22
oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,506 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Toronto in February

Cool thing. This year TO followed teams like Vancouver and offered its season ticket holders with an exchange program. Season ticket holders can sell there tickets at face value when they can't be at a game. If they are doing this the same was as VAN, u pay a fee to register then you have access to unused tickets at straight face value

Edited: 18 November 2011, 02:58
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Toronto in February

TO KERLYRANOAKVILLE,

<< Cool thing. This year TO followed teams like Vancouver and offered its season ticket holders with an exchange program. Season ticket holders can sell there tickets at face value when they can't be at a game. If they are doing this the same was as VAN, u pay a fee to register then you have access to unused tickets at straight face value >>

Not sure when Toronto got on board with this... but this is an NHL Incentive that has been around for a couple of years across the league... in Ottawa it is called Senators TicketExchange and available thru senators.nhl.com and in cooperation with TicketMaster (the official Ticket Seller and Reseller for the Sens).

The whole idea is that such a NHL sanctioned website would cut down on Scalpers cornering tickets and charging over-the-top pricing... as well as the growing concerns with Ticket Fraud that was becoming an issue in some markets (and a HUGE negative for major sports across the USA and Europe... NFL Football, ML Baseball, European Soccer etc... )... It sucks for you the Fan and the Team, Team Management & the NHL when someone pays top dollar for a bogus worthless ticket.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 18 November 2011, 03:15
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting Toronto in February

Many thanks for all your responses. I hadn't realised this game was such a biggie in the NHL/Toronto calendar.

I have looked at these 'marketplaces' stubhub etc and seen the high cost of tickets through these. Your helpful responses suggest some of these might be a little risky for such a high sum of cash (whether UK or US!) so I guess this is a no go. What about hotel access to tickets - can they sort anything out? In Boston for example the hotel managed to get us two tickets for the Boston Celtics/Miami Heat NBA tip off game - not cheap but real tickets! We are staying at the Westin.

We arrive on 11th Feb for four nights so a slightly extended weekend break from the UK. So no other NHL options seem obvious to me or am I missing an opportunity at a nearby venue?

Holiday was only booked yesterday so still checking out the forum for all the great ideas and suggestions.

Thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting Toronto in February

Hi WeekendVisit0r,

Lol, have you ever been to Niagara Falls ?

Turns out that Buffalo Sabres has a came on Saturday, February 11, 2011 at 7 PM… they are playing the Tampa Bay Lightning (both considered decent teams in the NHL)

Niagara Falls and the Buffalo area is aprox 2 Hours SOUTH of Toronto by public transit (wouldn’t advise making plans for a rental car in the middle of February… as Buffalo is in a major snow belt)

You could get there relatively inexpensively with MegaBus…

MegaBus Canada = http://ca.megabus.com/

Might make for a nice “diversion” from the visit you already had planned to Toronto… a chance to take in a Natural Wonder of the World (The Falls) and a Hockey Game. I’d certainly go for it.

I checked for availability and there are tickets to be had (and at very reasonable rates… a quick not really thinking about it try… gave me seats in the 300s… 3rd level at aprox $ 65 with Fees & Taxes about $ 70 so a really good price for NHL Tickets (anywhere)

Buffalo Sabres 2011-12 Schedule = http://sabres.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

Cheers

Wine-4-2

PS... All you'd need to get into the USA would be your Passport... at the Border you would be photographed, fingerprinted and processed for an I-94W Visa Waiver (under $ 10 US) and be set to go.

Lol... Going to a game in Buffalo may sound like a bit of a "wacky" idea at first... but it is what many of us crazy Canadian Hockey Fans do... make a last minute decision for a Hockey Road-Trip to a game... so you'd certainly "fit right in" with how many of us locals think when it comes to Hockey (myself included... can't begin to tell you how many times Mr Wine & I have had a "road trip" to an out-of-town game). Can be a lot of spontaneous fun.

Edited: 18 November 2011, 18:03
oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,506 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting Toronto in February

Btw. Tickets on hubstub are real tickets, as in no worries about them being legit.

Have been to many games in buffalo S

as well... Always a fabulous time! Plan to stay the night and hit the Anchor for THE ( supposedly) original buffalo wings.

To Ottawa. From what I understand, Toronto finally got on board the ticket exchange program this season. Great service.. We travel to Vancouver quite often throughout the year and use their program On a regular basis. Equivalent of ACC platinums for a fraction you would pay here

new york
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting Toronto in February

Stubhub tickets are guaranteed authentic. When you purchase tickets, they give you a phone number to call if you were to have an issue.

The concierge in hotels can get you tickets, but they will be dealing with the same brokers that are selling to stubhub. I have done this in the past but now I just cut out the concierge and do it myself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting Toronto in February

Really helpful stuff, and a good idea about Buffalo option.

I'll check the flight times to see if the logistics work out for this game, and if not its a case of checking with hubby re depth of pockets for the Maple Leafs game through stubhub!

Having had a look at the forum over the weekend the outline of the few days is currently looking like this - is this too much/do-able?

Saturday - Arrive - game day?

Sunday - Up the spine of toronto, - ie Harbour, CN tower, Royal Onatrio Museum, Art, etc, up to Casa Loma

Monday - Niagara

Tuesday - Distillery area, St Lawrence Market, Eaton shops, Hockey hall of fame, ferry to the islands (if running in the winter!)

Wed - Anything we've missed, flight home.

Thanks for your responses.