We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto, Quebec or Ottawa??

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto, Quebec or Ottawa??

Hi,

I want to take my wife on a short vacation 3-5 days in a winter type place, snowy and cold. Stayed in Quebec a few years ago for the winter carnival and really enjoyed it. Though something similar would be good. We are going early Feb. All suggestions appreciated.

Mike

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto, Quebec or Ottawa??

Forgot Montreal

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto, Quebec or Ottawa??

While it offers a ton of things to do year-round, Toronto is generally the least "snowy and cold" of the cities you've mentioned. That said, winter weather seems to be getting more and more unpredictable, so I have no idea if I'll be knee-deep in the white stuff in early February or still have my winter boots stashed in the closet.

Your post made me immediately think of Winterlude in Ottawa: www.canadascapital.gc.ca/celebrate/winterlude .

Toronto
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto, Quebec or Ottawa??

I agree with Matt; however, if you do choose to visit Toronto I would suggest reading the forum titled "Christmas festivities in and around Toronto"

Hope you have a wonderful time wherever you decide to go :-)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,116 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto, Quebec or Ottawa??

I too agree with the above posts...........................Toronto would most likely be the least snowy of your choices because Ottawa and Quebec city get a ton of snow..................however as Matt said weather unpredictable in T.O.

if you check website for City of Toronto tourism they will have upcoming events listed...................and it's a wonderfully fun city to visit any time of year

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,084 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto, Quebec or Ottawa??

Since you have already been to Quebec city then Ottawa should be your first pick. You will not find in Toronto the same feeling as in Quebec city for sure.

Edited: 09 December 2011, 02:19
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,024 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto, Quebec or Ottawa??

My take on these cities:

Québec -- beautiful, romantic, old, verry French, quaint, close to some very pretty nature such as the Montmorency Falls and of course the river. Pretty darn good tourist infrastructure for a city its size. Alas, aside from its old town and a couple of older inner neighbourhoods, not a very interesting city to explore, and it's fairly conservative and small-town feeling at times.

Montréal -- great atmosphere that's vibrant yet relaxed, fantastic nightlife, interesting neighbourhoods full of life, a foodie city, sidewalk café culture, half European half American feel, extremely tolerant, great transit, festivals all summer long. On the downside: a fair amount of urban grit in areas well frequented by tourists, crazy drivers, dreadful roads and road construction all over the place.

Ottawa -- a very "good" city: clean, well kept, friendly, lots of green, fantastic museums and some important public institutions like the Canadian Mint, pretty river walks, a few interesting neighbourhoods. Its downside: another conservative government town, not particularly pretty architecturally nor that easy to explore (bits of blah between the interesting bits to see, for example), astonishingly high suburb-to-urban-core ratio (like Québec, actually).

Toronto -- big city feel, great nightlife, lots of art and theatre and music and other stuff happening all the time, some beautiful neighbourhoods to explore and even some beaches, great museums (now almost affordable, too!), great food, some architectural gems, close to Niagara Falls, wildly multicultural, fantastic Chinatown, and a great streetcars system that makes it a pleasure to explore. Its downside: takes some time and travelling around to appreciate, quite spread out, dreadful traffic, lots of blah between its interesting bits.

Edited: 09 December 2011, 18:43
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto, Quebec or Ottawa??

If you are looking for wintery snowy and cold... All of your four shortlisted cities will do that for you. None of the cities feel like each other... Not to me. Early february would be early for Winterlude in Ottawa... You may be able to see scultptors making ice and snow sculptors at this point in the festivities. You would probably be able to skate on the canal at this point. But I love Toronto and Montreal better for dining options. I am convinced that Montreal is the coldest place on earth in the dead of winter...so pick this option is you have your -40C proofed winter coats. If you don't have one, Toronto is probably your "warmest" option. Good luck! :-)

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto, Quebec or Ottawa??

Thank you for all the tips and advice.

Mike

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto, Quebec or Ottawa??

Tristou - I think your opinion on each of these cities is a great addition - I quite enjoyed reading them.

ktown

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toronto, Quebec or Ottawa??

Ktown beat me to it. Great work Tristou, excellent summary.