We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel location

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
Best Hotel location

I'm going to be in Toronto in May for a confrence. My husband is coming with me and will not be attending the confrence. I'm looking for a hotel with attractions nearby to keep him occupied during the daytime. The three top hotels we were considering were: Fairmont Royal York, Intercontiniental Toronto Centre, or Westin Harbour Castle. Any suggestions?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,919 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel location

Hi CJ_MSP1227;

All three hotels are close to one another, and would provide nice accommodations. Of the three, the Westin Harbour Castle is the odd one out, as it is located on the waterfront, while the other two are more centrally located, which would be more convenient for sightseeing.

Best Regards

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel location

I agree with with RescueTeam; the Westin is nice right on the water but a bit of a walk. In May, that may be quite nice. You might also want to take a look at the Sheraton Centre or the Marriott Eaton Centre, both nice and close to everything as well.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,461 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel location

Another vote for the Sheraton Centre................directly across from the Toronto City Hall, and next to the Eaton Centre, and the subway...TTC at your door...............

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel location

Essentially, any hotel located within this square will put you and him within about 15 minutes of virtually anything either of you might want to do in Toronto: Bloor Street on the north, Church Street on the east, Spadina on the west and Front Street on the south. That is the core of our downtown area, and with our very user friendly transit system, he would have much to occupy himself. If your conference is in the south end (i.e. at the Fairmont or Intercontinental), then that is the Front Street area, which will include the CN Tower, Steamwhistle Brewery, the Harbourfront area, Hockey Hall of Fame, near-ish to the Ferry docks to the Toronto Island. If you don't need to be at that end, the Bloor Street side covers the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum), the Bata Shoe Museum, the Yorkville shopping area. In between those two areas, you have Yonge Street, which covers the Eaton Centre for mega mall shopping. Kensington Market off of Spadina is great for a day's walk about, and it borders our downtown Chinatown area, which in turn is close to the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO).

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel location

Hi! CJ, I'm sorry, but I'm going to hijack your post a little bit. I'm also attending a conference in June 2012 at the Sheraton and require similar advice. The Sheraton is a little too pricey for me, so I've been looking at other accommodation options: the Hilton Toronto @ 145 Richmond Street West and the Hilton Garden Inn @ 92 Peters Street. Can anyone tell me about transportation between these hotels and the Sheraton, and whether the service is good? Also, what hotel booking websites are the cheapest and most reliable? To CJ, you should check out these Hilton hoels, and also the Marriott at Eaton Centre. Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel location

I like the Royal York's location the best, out of the OP's 3.

Fatimah, I'd prefer the Hilton to the Hilton Garden Inn- it's slightly more upmarket, and it's closer to some better restaurants (Nota Bene, Tundra, Volos). I would book directly through hilton's website, because they often will match rates found elsewhere (if you call), and your chances of a better room are slightly higher if you book directly.

For the cheapest, reliable but non-changeable/non-cancellable rates, I find Priceline's name your own offer to be the best, (and better than Hotwire) but you don't know which hotel you're bidding on when you bid, so you're stuck with what you buy. I find Expedia, Hotel.com, Travelocity, and Priceline's regular rates to be comparable to the best rates on the hotel's official websites.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel location

@FATIMAH- The Hilton Toronto is only 1 block from the Sheraton. The Hilton Garden Inn on Peter is not too far. It's 2 blocks up Peter to Queen St W, then an 8-10 minute streetcar ride to the Sheraton. (Actually in June the weather should be fine for walking, as well)

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hotel location

Thanks Phoenika! Food is an altogether different type of concern - I'm muslim so I'll be doin self-catering or looking into halaal places like some of the Popeye's. That's why the Hilton Garden Inn is so much more appealing than the others, with the micro and fridge provided. I'll definetly be following your advice on calling up the hotels! Thanks so much!

@BruceandJohn: Thanks! Is walking safe at night? And can the PATH system be used?

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hotel location

Fatimah, we have a good-sized Muslim population around here, suggest you just let whichever hotel you end up with know you have halaal dietary restrictions and can they assist. Toronto is hugely multicultural; there isn't too much that you can't get here, and our restaurants are pretty used to catering to a multitude of requests.

This might help: http://www.zabihah.com/c/Downtown-Toronto+285

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hotel location

Thanks to flyinmom! I have been to that site but never thoght of informing the hotel! Will do! Any input on my "walking" questions?