We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quiet coffee shop/bistro between union station/queens park?

niagara
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
quiet coffee shop/bistro between union station/queens park?

Hello! Looking for a place to spend around an hour or so with some colleagues (all of us from out of town) - somewhere near queens park, or south probably as far as dundas - not sure of weather next week and how far all the walking is.

Quiet enough for meaningful conversation but doesn't have to be fancy-shmancy. Would probably be around 1:30 PM on a weekday.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: quiet coffee shop/bistro between union station/queens park?

Not sure how quiet you mean. One of the more comfortable spots you can spend that long at is Dark Horse Espresso Bar on Spadina, between Queen and Dundas. Not particularly quiet, but you'll be able to hear each other talk (it's what most people go there to do)

www.darkhorseespresso.com

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,195 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quiet coffee shop/bistro between union station/queens park?

Hi,

we're not exactly sure where you'll be coming from when you say "Queen's Park" (900 Bay complex?), but here are a few suggestions in the area:

Urbana Coffee at 1033 Bay is about 2 blocks north of 900 Bay.

Avenue Cafe & Bistro at 480 University has excellent coffee & really good lunchtime food, but can get really busy during the peak lunch rush.

Trattoria Mercatto has a newish place (we've not been) at 101 College in the MaRS complex. The cafe is actually at the College & Elizabeth corner.

Hope that helps!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: quiet coffee shop/bistro between union station/queens park?

"Queen's Park" or queens park? (Sorry Ann, inside joke for the forum regulars. I'm pretty sure I know where you mean.)

If, behind the legislative buildings, you head to the northwest corner of the park and cross the street, you can walk up Philosopher's Walk to the Royal Conservatory of Music. They have a ground-floor coffee shop in a gorgeous space with lots of seating (http://www.blogto.com/cafes/b-espresso-bloor).

Edited: 05 January 2012, 14:33
niagara
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quiet coffee shop/bistro between union station/queens park?

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! Thanks for the good-natured responses about Queen's Park. I'm a Canadian-in-training and deserve the corrections!

I've had additional suggestions of "Mercator on college need reservation or sutton place ". I wonder if the former is the same as the Trattoria Mercatto mentioned above. (The individual writes in as much of a rushed manner as I do sometimes!)

Thanks, again!

niagara
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: quiet coffee shop/bistro between union station/queens park?

Oh - we'll be in the "Blocks" - Grosvenor and Bay. Folks are coming by train, car and plane, so meeting near our destination will be easiest probably.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,195 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: quiet coffee shop/bistro between union station/queens park?

Hi, The "blocks"- Ferguson, Hearst, Hepburn, Mowat, all atop the Macdonald, and the adjacent Whitney, are all part of the 900 Bay complex previously mentioned. If you're all meeting up before heading there, we'd suggest any of the following:

Urbana Coffee- 1033 Bay- (NE Bay & St. Joseph St)- 2 blocks north

Timothy's Coffee- 801 Bay- (NE Bay & College, 1 door east on College)- 3 blocks south

Starbucks- Yonge & Wellesley (NE corner)- 1 block east

Starbucks- 37 Grosvenor (SE corner Bay & Grosvenor)- 1 block south

The latter Starbucks is currently somewhat obscured by scaffolding surrounding the building.

All will be readily found via transit or cab, and all are close to the main lobby for the complex on Bay just south of Wellesley.

Hope that helps!

niagara
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: quiet coffee shop/bistro between union station/queens park?

OK thanks so much AGAIN!!!! We're down to Mercatto, in the MARS building, vs Timothys at 801 Bay.

I have no experience with mercatto, and it just seems like a sit down, make reservations kind of place - whereas timothy's is more conducive to people arriving at different times and staying for as little as 10 minutes or as much as an hour.

This site unseen stuff is challenging - any tie-breakers here? Main goals are quiet enough to hear each other, enough room for 3-6 people, possibly more, able to arrive at different times to join group, and get out in time to go to meeting. Have a (probably unwarranted) concern that mercatto will be inappropriate - too formal.

Thanks for any further advice!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,195 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: quiet coffee shop/bistro between union station/queens park?

We haven't been to Mercatto so can't really comment. Maybe give them a call- speak to the manager & explain your situation & see if they're cool with it. They would probably expect several of your group to eat, but seeing that it's 1:30 they may be flexible in tolerating the late arrivers. If you're receiving table service, you should also tip according to how much extra work you may give the server by placing multiple orders. Just our $.02

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: quiet coffee shop/bistro between union station/queens park?

Just inside College Park (444 Yonge, corner of College St., about 7 minutes walk from University & College) I recall stopping at a little Richtree sandwich bar inside there this summer. It's pretty casual; you can pick up a sandwich or pastry, coffee/bev, and there's seating inside the small place, plus some seating out in the main walk through area (kinda like an indoor plaza). This is utterly nothing to write home about re the food, but it is a convenience that you could have this drop in issue happen plus grab a bit if anyone is hungry.

niagara
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: quiet coffee shop/bistro between union station/queens park?

Only can do a quick reply right now -

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! thank you all - going with Mercatto, called, they were fabulous

no worries on tipping - i always do 20%, been there, worked that