We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop over in Toronto need ideas

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Stop over in Toronto need ideas

I'm flying in from Australia (via Dallas) in september I don't get in till 11pm that night. So im expecting I'll sleep for most of the day. So im looking for some kind of day trip for the afternoon and maybe a restaurant with a good view of the city before I fly out early the next morning!

Any ides?

Toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop over in Toronto need ideas

September usually offers the best weather of the year and and Toronto offers a safe and walkable downtown, easy to get to from the airport by a rapid bus and the subway. So perhaps to recover from jet lag a bit you might want to get out and stroll. Along Bloor St btwn Yonge and Spadina, you'll find high-end shopping, student cafes, many restaurants, the Bata shoe museum and the controversial Liebskind-designed Royal Ontario Museum. Just a block north and running parallel is Yorkville, filled with over-renovated Victorian houses flogging designer stuff.. If glitz and wildy commercialized chutzpah is more your style, you could have fun walking around Dundas Square, a major shopping area that does its best to look like Las Vegas.

Farther south are enclaves such as Chinatown, Kensington Market and the old financial/shopping district. If you care to say more about what you like to see and do, I can offer more tailored suggestions.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop over in Toronto need ideas

Hello!

I don't know what your budget is, but if you really want a good view of the city, there's nothing better than the CN Tower ,of course!

If you eat in their revolving restaurant, that covers the cost of the admission fee

cntower.ca/en-CA/360-Restaurant/Overview.html

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,956 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop over in Toronto need ideas

I second for the restaurant at the CN Tower, not really more expensive than regular restaurants of that category without the view and it covers the admission to the observatory floors and it really cut time in the queues for tickets and elevator.

Have you ever been to Niagara Falls? If no and interested there are day tours that could suit you. For you it will be better than driving as you can certainly take naps in the buses. There are also tours for nightime Falls illumination that leaves TO around 2 pm. That would be even better, if you finally wake up early enough you could have lunch at the tower and hop on the tour afterward.

As per Toronto proper the step on step off tours could be nice as you will get a guided tour but could also step off in areas and attractions where you want to stroll.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stop over in Toronto need ideas

Thanks for All your advice so far.

I don't really know anything thing about Toronto so its been most helpful!

I'm a country girl with simple tastes the things like Victorian houses you mention and I guess im more of an old style stuff ikind of person then too much glitz. However you know what they say "When in Rome ..." i'm fairly open to what I see.

The Cn tower sounds good.

& Yes Rick i've been to Niagara Falls (took a day trip from NYC last time I was there)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stop over in Toronto need ideas

...then you'd love Kensington market for sure. I've heard lots of parallels drawn between Toronto and Melbourne. If you love the artsy, old bricks and coffee house vibe, Toronto has it in spades.

Edited: 22 January 2012, 03:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stop over in Toronto need ideas

Gee Way to turn me off Toronto :D I'm not really a fan of Melbourne its an ok city but I like Sydney Better!

The MArkets do sounds like fun!

Edited: 22 January 2012, 11:55
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stop over in Toronto need ideas

Hmmm. Well you'll have to report back on whether you think the Melbourne comparison is true. I guess for your sake we should hope not!

I'd agree with the Kensington Market idea, and that's right next to Chinatown which is also great for strolling. I would skip Yorkville if the only part of interest to you is the old houses (most aren't that noteworthy) but instead you might enjoy the old part of the city around the St. Lawrence Market. If you want to go full-on historic there's the Distillery District, once a massive distillery and now its cobblestone streets and stone buildings are home to shops, cafes, and galleries.

Or, if you want a getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city, there's the Toronto Islands. They're reached by a ferry from downtown, which offers a great view of the city skyline. You can rent a bike or just explore on foot. It's mostly parkland and beaches, but there is a car-free community of year-round homes (some of them more like cottages, and plenty of variety).

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stop over in Toronto need ideas

You might enjoy walking through our Cabbagetown area, filled with heritage architecture of the Victorian kind. In the centre of all that is the beautiful and charming Riverdale Farm, a fully working antique farm in the midst of our city. At that time of year, it will be perfect. Check this out: www.friendsofriverdalefarm.com/tips.htm

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stop over in Toronto need ideas

Another vote for CN Tower dining. If you're there for dinner, the lamb chops are the best I've ever had in a revolving restaurant. If you're under budget restrictions, there is usually a lunch special during the week, which would make the lunch an excellent price since it also includes the price of the ride up the tower.

If you love old houses, visit Casa Loma... It's one of the most spectacular examples...

http://www.casaloma.org/History/index.asp

Have fun! :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stop over in Toronto need ideas

Oh My Casa Roma is sooo pretty!

How easy is it to get to some of these places form the airport as I understand the airport is a bit out of the city!

Edited: 23 January 2012, 12:11