We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Pearson Airport to Centennial Park

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WI
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
From Pearson Airport to Centennial Park

Just wondering if it is possible to get to Centennial Park easily and not so expensively on a 9 hour layover with 3 kids!?! We are flying in from the US early summer and will be landing around noon, but then won't be leaving for Europe until 9:00 pm. (Or do you have any other suggestions...kids ages are 3, 5, and 7.) Just trying to figure things out and maybe considering not buying those tickets!

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Pearson Airport to Centennial Park

Oooh, just the perfect age for this: Woodbine Centre's Fantasy Fair! http://www.fantasyfair.ca/ Check that out. My boyz used to LOVE it. An indoor amusement park for the under 10 set. And it's about 8 minutes away from the airport.

Remember that your 9 hour layover ends up being more like 5-6 hours because of going through security. I know someone else on here will pipe up about the changeover and what you may expect about the layover between planes. But...2 hours at Woodbine Centre might just do the trick. Centennial park is a great park, but it's just that bit further away, and it's mainly just a big outdoor spot to run off energy. Woodbine will be able to provide some food (okay, not high end, but food court kinda stuff) and entertainment for the kids, and still be close to the airport.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,748 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Pearson Airport to Centennial Park

I'm thinking exactly the same thing as flyinmom.....................and since Woodbine Centre is also a shopping mall...........some entertainment for the adults as well!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Pearson Airport to Centennial Park

The only downside I see is that it's an expensive taxi ride ($28 + tip) for such a short distance, because the flat-rate rides from the airport have a high minimum built in. Really no way around this. The trip back in a regular city cab will be much cheaper.

You should still try to get your bags checked through to your final destination, so that you won't have to claim them in Toronto. Upon landing, simply proceed to the main immigration and customs area -- instead of following the "International Connections" signs -- to exit the airport. Just to be safe, you want to be going through security no later than 7 pm, but you can always grab dinner after you're through.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Pearson Airport to Centennial Park

I grew up 1 mile from Centennial Park. I spent many hours there as a kid. If the weather is nice (no rain) there is lots to do there. The park is quite large.....probably over 200 acres.

There is an Olympic sized pool in a building called the Etobicoke Olympium, there are soccer fields, baseball diamonds, tennis courts and cricket pitches. There is a track and field stadium that holds over 3000 people, hockey arenas, a ski hill, an 18 hole golf course with a driving range and 18 hole mini-putt. There is a go-kart track and there are 3 large ponds (one of which rents paddle boats).

There is a wading pool for kids, picnic grounds, lots of open spaces and a greenhouse (which is very nice and worth checking out). There is an 18 hole frisbee golf course as well (and it's free to play but you need your own frisbee).

As you can see, there is enough to do at Centennial Park for a few hours providing the weather is nice. You can also grab some food at the golf course....burgers, dogs, fries, sandwiches etc....

The greenhouse, paddle boats, go-kart track and golf course are all located fairly close to one another. Remember, the park is quite large so some walking will be required.

If you go, climb the ski hill. There is a nice view of the city from up top. From there if you look east towards Toronto you will see a plaza nearby (Renforth Plaza corner of Renforth Dr. and Rathburn Rd). You can walk there easily (under 1 km from ski hill) and grab food at one of three small restaurants (fish and chips, Chinese food and pizza joint.....I recommend the fish and chips restaurant!). Have fun whatever you decide.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Pearson Airport to Centennial Park

One more thing...a tip if you will...tell the taxi to take you to the Centennial Park ski area parking lot (it shouldn't be more than $15 cab fare). He will let you off at the base of the hill. The first thing I would do is take the stairs to the top of the hill (it's an easy climb, it's not a big hill at all) then from there you will get your bearings.

Looking east you will see Toronto. Turn around and look west and you'll see the greenhouse, go-kart track, golf course, mini putt and ponds. Upon further thinking I can't remember if they still rent paddle boats. The view is worth the climb but secondly you can see where everything is from there so you don't wander around aimlessly looking for things.

If it were me, I'd start at the top of the hill, go to the greenhouse next and then walk along the nice pond over to the go-kart track (kids love that) then go to the golf course. Dad (and Mom if she plays golf) can hit some balls at the range(there is also a chipping and putting area) and the kids can play mini golf.....unless everyone is up for mini-golf. That right there will kill about 3-4 hours. If frisbee golf is your thing the first tee is located behind the greenhouse. That course takes about 2 hours to play.

If you like to watch model airplanes in action there is an area where people fly them located near the go-kart track (inbetween the go-karts and the base of the ski hill). There aren't always people flying them but from the top of the hill you will see them if they are. You might also get lucky and see people hang-gliding from the top of the hill. There might also be a soccer game going on at the stadium that afternoon as well. As you can see, you have lots to do there to kill an afternoon. Cheers.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 06:30
6. Re: From Pearson Airport to Centennial Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2013, 10:31