We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Trip to Toronto; Ideas off what to do.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend Trip to Toronto; Ideas off what to do.

My GF & I are going for a weekend trip to Toronto at the end of the month. We live out in Ottawa so we have gone to Toronto in the past.

We're really wondering about hidden gems in the heart of downtown Toronto and what are things for us to do there? We're at that point where partying in clubs at Night is a thing of a past.

What are some great restaurants to try (hidden gems not well known would be a bonus)? Any worthy museums or his historic placess to check out? Site seeing... landmarks.

Lol, anything but Wonderland :P

Any suggestions or ideas would be awesome. We will be staying at the Marriot Courtyard in downtown Toronto on Yonge Street however we will have our car with us so travelling isn't going to be an issue.

CN Tower
Architectural Buildings, Observation Decks & Towers, Points of Interest & Landmarks
St. Lawrence Market
Architectural Buildings, Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Queen Street
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
The Beach Village
Neighbourhoods, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Trip to Toronto; Ideas off what to do.

Check out St. Lawrence and Kensington Markets. Check out the various neighbourhoods around town and enjoy associated cuisines - greek, italian, chinese.....

As for hidden gem restaurants, I'd suggest the food court at First Markham Place. Amazing selection at incredibly reasonable prices. Due to it's location, it would probably be best to go to on your way in or out of town though. http://www.firstmarkhamplace.com/index.php

www.yelp.ca/biz/first-markham-place-markham

I would suggest that unless you plan on heading out of downtown, just leave your car parked and take transit.

ktown

Edited: 16 March 2012, 00:58
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Trip to Toronto; Ideas off what to do.

The problem with listing "hidden gems" on a large public Internet forum like TA -- is that they would no longer be hidden much longer. The real pleasure of Toronto is that there are so many places to hide the gems.

Depending on your past experiences in Toronto, I would recommend that you explore some of the less travelled neighbourhoods: The Danforth ("Greek Town"), Leslieville, Roncesvalles, Little Italy and The Beaches. For some, these neighbourhoods are "hidden gems" in themselves.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Trip to Toronto; Ideas off what to do.

If you're assuming you will get around by car, then travelling WILL be an issue! I wouldn't drive anywhere if you don't have to.

I second kensington. roncesvalles is nice too and has lots of nice restaurants.

4. Re: Weekend Trip to Toronto; Ideas off what to do.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 March 2012, 19:49
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend Trip to Toronto; Ideas off what to do.

Haha, yeah I suppose so Emily. Last time I drove there in downtown it was practically a failure so I guess taking the Subway would be best. So Kensington and Roncesvalles will definitly be checked out.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend Trip to Toronto; Ideas off what to do.

to get to roncesvalles you can take the 504 west (goes right up the street) or you can go to dundas west station and take the 504 south (or you can walk from the station too).

you could probably walk to kensingston from where you're staying if you're up for it. you could also take the queen streetcar west to spadina and walk up.

if you've never been to kensington before, you'll see when you get there why you wouldn't want to bring a car anywhere near there.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 17:21
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend Trip to Toronto; Ideas off what to do.

For more ideas, check out two of the Traveller Articles for Toronto: neighbourhoods (tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-s204/Toronto:…) and museums & attractions (tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g155019-s410/Toronto:O…) to see what fits your interests.

Public transit is by far your best bet for getting around. Note that on Saturdays and Sundays, two adults (and up to four youths 19 or under) can share a single $10.50 TTC Day Pass. It offers unlimited travel all day, so you can hop on and off streetcars and subways at will as you wander the city.

Buy the Day Pass at the collector's booth at any subway station, and ask for a free "Ride Guide" map while you're there.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 17:56
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,731 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend Trip to Toronto; Ideas off what to do.

Hi Ossie;

NEVER post your email address on the internet. I would STRONGLY suggest that you delete your own post immediately !

Posting your email address on the internet can dramatically increase the amount of spam you receive.

You can delete your own post by clicking on the "Report inappropriate content" button within the post your wish to delete, and then select "Remove my post" from the pull down menu.

Best Regards

9. Re: Weekend Trip to Toronto; Ideas off what to do.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:42