We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife parks near Toronto

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife parks near Toronto

Would like information for nearest parks to Toronto for veiwing wildlife please. Would like the chance of seeing moose or bears! How to get there and back. Need to be able to travel to/from Toronto to the park in a day. Thanks.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,646 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife parks near Toronto

Hi chip60;

I would suggest the Toronto Zoo.

The Toronto Zoo isn’t a typical concrete and bars zoo. It is divided into six zoogeographic regions with the animals displayed indoors in tropical pavilions and outdoors in naturalistic environments. The zoo is one of the largest in the world, encompassing an area of 710 acres / 287 hectares !

www.torontozoo.ca

The zoo is located in the northeast corner of the city. You can use public transit or drive there.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
1,200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife parks near Toronto

You could drive to algonquin park which is about 3-4 hours away but the chance of seeing wildlife is hit or miss. Sometimes moose are seen near the road but they are best seen deeper in the park, as are bear. I have been in the park many times and not seen either. So to drive all that way for a day is likely not worth it. The idea about the zoo is probably best.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife parks near Toronto

Thank you for the quick reply! Didn't really want to go to a zoo though. Would like to see animals in more natural surroundings.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,646 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife parks near Toronto

You're Welcome, chip60;

You're visiting the wrong area of the country for viewing "animals in more natural surroundings". Toronto, the Greater Toronto Area, and southern Ontario are the most populated areas of Canada.

Best Regards

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife parks near Toronto

RescueTeam is right. The likelihood of seeing wildlife in natural surroundings on a day trip from Toronto is next to nothing. You'd have to go far north and spend more than a day there for that.

We've got lots of squirrels in Toronto, though ;-)

You might want to consider a trip to Banff, Alberta someday, or Vancouver Island, B.C. for the sort of experience you're looking for!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife parks near Toronto

I live in Sudbury, 3 1/2 hrs north of Toronto and even seeing wildlife here is hit and miss. I have only seen a moose once in the last couple of years. And I see a couple bears a year but you can not predict when. And at that, I want to make sure I am in the car when I see a bear lol. Most wildlife do not want to be around humans, so it takes skill to actually see them up close with out them hearing or smelling you first and taking off. The easiest wildlife to see are deer, but even then it can not be predicted when.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,478 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildlife parks near Toronto

chip...................as has been said, your best bet is definitely the Toronto Zoo, can be reached by taking public transit, and as said above, not a concrete and bars kind of place.........quite natural looking actually................it's a great place...you'd like it............they do indeed have bears and moose there....wait 'til you come face to face with a Grizzly....they are "big"....thankgoodness for plexiglass......................

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,478 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildlife parks near Toronto

chip: right in the heart of the city, there is a very small zoo, in comparison to the Toronto Zoo, but nice nonetheless, and it's also free............it is located in High Park, which is a large beautiful park in Toronto, can be reached by public transit....take subway to High Park stop....

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wildlife parks near Toronto

thanks for all the advice. Have thought about going to Algonquin Park, but not so sure now. What other attractions does this park have?

Banff, Alberta, Vancouver Island are on my places to go list.

Also looked into Toronto zoo, might at least be able to see some animals in their natural country there !!!!!

What animals do they have in the zoo in High Park please?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,646 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wildlife parks near Toronto

You're Welcome, chip !

If you were to travel outside of the city, how would you be getting around ?

Will you have a car, or will you be using public transportation ?

Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario is approx. 2945 sq mi / 7630 sq km, and is about 160 miles / 256 km north of Toronto, about a 3 hour drive.

Most people go to the park for its remote wilderness and to camp in the great outdoors. I would suggest visiting the official Algonquin Provincial Park website for additional information.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/algo.html

www.algonquinpark.on.ca/

If the focus of your interest is moose & bears, I would suggest the Toronto Zoo over the small zoo at High Park.

Best Regards