We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto 8th September - why so busy?

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto 8th September - why so busy?

We are looking at going to Toronto 8-15 September but trying to go through Virgin Holidays, all their hotels are sold out

Can anyone let us know why so busy? Gutted as it is for my husband's 40th birthday...

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto 8th September - why so busy?

The Toronto International Film Festival is scheduled from September 6 - 16, so it will be difficult to find a hotel downtown Toronto during that time period.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto 8th September - why so busy?

Yes, unfortunately those dates overlap with the Toronto International Film Festival, which runs September 6-16 this year. TIFF is, I believe, the world's largest public film festival (anyone can buy tickets to screenings) and is the busiest time of year for hotels in the city with filmmakers, actors, press, and film lovers all in town.

TIFF is right downtown, so the most popular hotels for the festivals are also the ones that work best for a general tourist visit. It's an exciting time of year to be in town, but finding a reasonably-priced room can be pretty tough.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto 8th September - why so busy?

I suggest that you go direct to the hotels via internet or toll free lines. Holiday companies like Virgin will be assigned a block of rooms; if they sell out their block THEIR info shows filled, and yet there may still be a lot of space outside their protected rates. This happens to my group all the time when I set up a group booking, so it's always worth the try to communicate direct.

The film fest sees ~250,000 attendees; that's a lotta rooms. I'll suggest a few other places for you that are just outside of the film fest core area. Since it is all centred now down near the TIFF Bell Lightbox bldg, all the big 5 & 4 star hotels down there get booked the earliest, but there are now an additional ~1000 rooms in the downtown core, with Shangri La and Trump and Ritz Carlton. I don't know your price range, but I'm suggesting mid range hotels that are well enough placed to get you to the downtown area in under 15 minutes. I've started with the closest to the core and moved outwards and upwards.

Marriott Bloor Yorkville

Toronto Holiday Inn Bloor Yorkville

Holiday Inn Express Lombard Street

Holiday Inn Yorkdale (north end of city, but accessible by subway, and just across from Yorkdale shopping mall, HUGE mall that easily competes with Eaton Centre for shops)

Novotel North York

Novotel Centre (although it might be too close, but it's just on the east edge of the downtown area)

Westin Prince Hotel (if you don't have a car, you will have to take bus and subway, but it is a nice hotel)

Out in the west end of the city, a higher priced place but quite beautiful if you're looking for something a little different is the Old Mill Inn and Spa. It's a popular wedding venue, too, and on the edge of the gorgeous Humber River system, out by High Park. It will take a little longer to get into the city, but it is a beautiful neighbourhood (near the Kingsway, which was one of Toronto's original Millionaire 'hoods, back in the 50s, still a very ritzy area).

Happy birthday to the Hubby.

UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto 8th September - why so busy?

Thanks, that makes sense . My husband only saw the vegetarian festival... We will try the following week

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto 8th September - why so busy?

If you can try another month. September is the most popular month for tourists in Toronto.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto 8th September - why so busy?

September is popular because it's usually a great time of year to be here, weather-wise, and 11 days of TIFF would give those visitor numbers a pretty substantial boost.

But no need to give up on September entirely. The week of Sept 15-22, the number of hotels available through Virgin Holidays jumps from 0 to 7. Or, over on Expedia, room rates drop anywhere from 5%-70% compared to the main week of TIFF.

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto 8th September - why so busy?

Thanks for the advice - we definitely want to go for his big 40 in Sept as he has always wanted to go to Canada and Toronto is a great introduction as we only have a week - plenty of time to see other amazing parts.

We will get booking before the hotels get booked up

While I'm getting advice, we are after a hotel with suites, as it is a special one- any recommendations? :-) I've see the Residence Inn at Downtown in Virgin..

North East England
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto 8th September - why so busy?

Why not get your own flights and accommodation ? Instead of using Virgin I mean..

You can get flights direct from Air Transat , or similar and look on here for accommodation.

We have bought flights from Thomas Cook and bookes a holiday rental from an apartment we saw on here (Tripadvisor)

tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g1550…

This is right next door to the Eaton Centre.

Last time in Toronto we stayed at the Cambridge Suites, I can highly recommend them. This time we fancied having our 'own place'...

Only three weeks and we'll be in Toronto ! Yusssss !

~J~

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto 8th September - why so busy?

We tend to look at Virgin first then look at other options. We always fly Virgin Atlantic as we are building points but I see they don't fly there

I noticed the Cambridge suites on Expedia but the rental is a great idea also

V envious you'll be there in 3 weeks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Toronto 8th September - why so busy?

There are three all-suite hotels downtown, and you've already found two of them. The other is One King West Hotel and Residence.