We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat for Toronto itinerary

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat for Toronto itinerary

Hi there,

We will be in Toronto for 3 days and are looking for some good places to eat based on the following itinerary...

Day1: Toronto Zoo - I understand there are only a couple of places to eat - any recommendations on which ones are better? Assuming we cannot pack a lunch?

Day2: Black Creek Pioneer Village

Day3: Centre Island

We are not picky and are adventurous eaters, though our 3 & 5 year olds aren't very fond of spicy foods. But they are definitely NOT 'kids meal only' kids and will try most things. If you know of well priced, good places to eat, do advise!

Thank you!!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat for Toronto itinerary

The nicest restaurant on the island is The Rectory, a cute cafe with a leafy patio hidden away by the boardwalk near the Ward's Island dock. Half the fun is finding it. http://therectorycafe.com/

If that doesn't work with your schedule or tastes, there's a Shopsy's Deli with a nice big patio right by the Centre Island ferry dock, facing the city.

At the zoo, I'd just say eat lunch wherever works best with where you are at lunch time. The zoo is too big, and the restaurant options too basic, to plan your route around eating somewhere in particular.

I'm assuming that you're just asking about lunch spots at the attractions you'll be spending your day at, and for dinner you'll eat downtown or whatever, independently of what you did during the day?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat for Toronto itinerary

Thanks tweedwolfscream. Will definitely look at those two restaurants. We'll have a large breakfast each morning, so I'm looking at either late lunches, or possibly early dinner options. If there are other good places en route from our base on Wellington St. downtown, we'd certainly want to know, just to have them in mind. Thank you!

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat for Toronto itinerary

If you want a totally unique experience, drive up to the Pacific Mall after your day at the zoo. It's like stepping into China, authentic shops and food including dim sum. You'd need to have an adventurous family though.

http://www.pacificmalltoronto.com/

Another unique option is the Rainforest Cafe which is in the Scarborough Town Center. It's a chain with just okay food, but an interesting one if you haven't already been.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat for Toronto itinerary

Sadly, even though those are kid friendly locales...they don't have great food selections. The zoo has burgers and nuggets type, torontozoo.com/ExploretheZoo/FoodServices.asp Generally pretty nasty stuff, but...it is what it is. You can, however, bring in your own picnic lunch. Pacific Mall is a cool adventure but it is located north of Steeles on Kennedy, which is about a 20 minute drive from the Zoo.

Black Creek has very scant food service, http://www.blackcreek.ca/v2/visit/food.dot However, if you go east on Steeles Avenue (the major street running off one side of the village), just over to Dufferin, about 10 minutes away, there are a variety of chain restaurants spread over 3 different malls on 3 corners. And you can get prepared food in the Supercentre (Loblaws grocery chain).

Centre Island: You're looking, sadly, at a selection of junk food joints. Yes, the Rectory is a lovely restaurant, and there isn't a thing on that menu that I would call suitable for their age group. It is lovely food, but it is not for kids, even adventuresome ones. Best to do some pick up stuff on the Island, let them have their fill of junk stuff, and then plan to eat back on the mainland. A short distance from the ferry docks is a Toronto classic family restaurant called the Old Spaghetti Factory. www.oldspaghettifactory.ca/locations/ontario/ It ain't gourmet, but you'll have a value for dollar family meal in a fun environment for the kids, with family oriented speedy service, etc.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat for Toronto itinerary

Most definitely bring your own picnic lunch to the zoo. We always do!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to eat for Toronto itinerary

The Rectory has bison burgers. Don't kids still like burgers?

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to eat for Toronto itinerary

I found their portions to be huge, and I'm a healthy eater! I also found there seemed to be a lot of strange (i.e. non kid friendly) sauces slathered on the bread products. That's why I said I didn't find it kid-friendly.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to eat for Toronto itinerary

I tried a place called Hey Meatball on College, it has pasta and meatball sandwiches....lots of natural ingredients, very nice! A little pricey, but worth the extra dough for a nice, natural dinner!

9. Re: Places to eat for Toronto itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:16