We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Day weekend.

North East England
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Day weekend.

We've arrived in Toronto, and of course we love it, as always..

Any ideas as to what to do this weekend ? Outdoors I mean.. We don't have a car so everything would be by public transport.

In the UK when it's a Bank Holiday everything shuts, ie Shops, public transport etc, is it the same here in Toronto ? Is everything on a 'reduced service' ?

Also, where do folks living in the city do their grocery shopping ? The only place that we have found up to now for groceries has been the Kitchen Table. We did go down to St Laurence (?) market which is awesome I have to add. I've never seen so much cheese in one place !

Look forward to answers , cos I know you guys always deliver :-))

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Day weekend.

Hi,

Everything will be wide open as usual today & Sunday, with limited openings & services Monday. Have a look here for a few ideas on things to do:

http://bit.ly/Je2HaV

http://bit.ly/JWMtko

There's always a ton of stuff going on at Harbourfront, although much may be kids- oriented (be patient with this site- very slow loading on the scrolling calendar):

http://bit.ly/L2l4hR

There are many places to do grocery shopping, but you'll need to let us know the major intersections you're close to before we can provide better advice. If you're near College subway station, head a block east to Carlton & Church streets to the newish Loblaws superstore in Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto's former hockey palace. (They're open Monday from 10AM to 8PM):

http://bit.ly/vzssK9

Enjoy the weekend!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Day weekend.

I think Jinxxx said earlier they were staying near the Eaton Centre. I'd definitely second the recommendation for the Loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens. If you want something closer that's a bit bigger and a bit cheaper than the Kitchen Table, try the Market by Longo's at Elizabeth and Dundas Street West. There's also a Metro grocery store at Gould and Mutual.

As for what's open/closed, the Eaton Centre and nearby stores will be open, as will most of the big museums (except the AGO). Most grocery stores will be closed, as will all liquor/beer stores. thestar.com/news/transportation/article/1180… has details. Public transit won't be a problem. The TTC operates its "holiday service" schedule on Victoria Day -- this is the same as the Sunday schedule, except full service starts at 6 am rather than the 9 am start on Sundays.

And in terms of outdoor stuff, hard to know what you've already done, but... looks like a nice weekend for the island, the Beach neighbourhood, the central waterfront (a great walk all the way from Bathurst to Lower Sherbourne, plus you'd wander through the events Bruce & John mentioned at Harbourfront), Evergreen Brickworks in the Don Valley, High Park, or just strolling a neighbourhood you've never visited (tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-s204/Toronto:…).

BTW, at the moment the weather forecast for Monday shows cloudy with a 60% chance of showers, so it may not be the best day of the weekend to be out and about.

Edited: 19 May 2012, 14:29
North East England
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Day weekend.

Thanks guys, I just knew you would give me good advice.

Enjoy your long weekend :-)

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Day weekend.

I think Monday has cleared up a bit. Was down at Harbourfront today for the 10th Annual Circus festival. It's free, sure were a lotta folks down there! The island, for sure.

A trip out to the Danforth for some neighbourhood cruisin', followed by great Greek food might be in order tomorrow. High Park is closed to vehicular traffic on Sundays, so that could be a beautiful alternative, too. And that neighbourhood is great for wandering around. A little further out to the Old Mill and strolling the Humber River parklands would be gorgeous. Lots of small food markets all throughout these 'hoods.

North East England
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Day weekend.

Now that sounds like my kinda thing ! I love food markets...

We passed the harbour front today while on the jump-on-jump-off tour bus and it was SO much more busy than yesterday ! It really was buzzing..

I didn't expect the sun to be so severe and I am now paying the price for not putting sunblock on *blush*

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Day weekend.

You know, if you walk in any direction you'll find stuff to do. Kensington Market, Chinatown, The Entertainment District, The Distillery District, The Toronto Islands, Queen Street West, Little Italy.....just to name a few...lol.

These locations I've just mentioned are all neighbourhoods within walking distance from your locale. Go exploring Jinx and have fun.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria Day weekend.

The circus festival seems very popular. Harbourfront is busiest on summer weekends. (Want peace and quiet? Visit on a cold winter midweek evening!)

And that's a good reminder to be careful in the sun. It's stronger here than it is in England -- we're further south, after all. The UV index today is 7 (unprotected skin will burn in 15-25 minutes). That's pretty typical for sunny summer days here, but would be at the high end of what you'd get back home.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria Day weekend.

There are also fireworks at Ashbridges Bay Park on Monday evening. Prince Charles and Camilla will also be attending. You'd have to take the Queen Street streetcar to get there. Perhaps a 20-25 minute ride.

Others with more knowledge can tell you exactly where to get off the streetcar.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria Day weekend.

Too bad it's not the Prince street car.

Sorry...couldn't help myself.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria Day weekend.

No, earlier in the day the prince is taking the bus! thestar.com/news/article/1177438--royal-visi… (Apparently he gets his own custom route, though. No futzing with the TTC Trip Planner for him.)

The east end of the 501 streetcar route is a bit of a mess at the moment due to construction. Personally, to get to Ashbridge's Bay, I'd be tempted to take the subway to Woodbine and a 92 Woodbine South bus to the lake, or the 506 Carlton streetcar to Coxwell and transfer to the 22 Coxwell bus south to Queen Street (or just walk down from Gerrard, it's not that far). If you take the 501 Queen, you'll have to switch to a bus partway through the trip -- just follow the crowds.