We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a 3 day drive - Toronto to Orlando with kids

Markham, ON Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a 3 day drive - Toronto to Orlando with kids

We are planning a road trip to Orlando from July 28th - August 10th. We plan on taking 3 days to drive there as we will have a 2 year old and a 6 year old to contend with. Assuming we would probably stop every 2-3 hours along the road for breaks and food. Where are there good places to stop for the night? What times should we start up each day to avoid traffic through large cities and where is it worth it to spend a few hours once we get into a city early for the kids to go?

My original plan was somewhere between Pittsburgh and West Virginia for Day 1 then Day 2 we'd try to get to South Carolina or Georgia, and the the 3rd day be in Orlando by late afternoon.

Any suggestions on stoops along the way or driving routes would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a 3 day drive - Toronto to Orlando with kids

You know, you've got it pretty much nailed down. Your times are pretty good. You might want to go a bit farther than Pittsburgh on Day One, but in general it's pretty good. You're still going to be doing about 7 hours per day average. I think on Day Two you could make it down to Columbia SC or maybe a little farther to I-26. Depends on traffic and construction zones.

Perhaps someone on the forum can help you with recommondations, but all you really need now is to google a map of your route and google some of the towns that could be a pull-over spot and start surfing the net and plotting your route. Use Tripadvisor and check some reviews of the places you've plotted out. This website has made things a lot easier.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a 3 day drive - Toronto to Orlando with kids

Hi Yveeli~

This thread might be of benefit to you:

tripadvisor.com/…38039450

We prefer the I-75 route for all the reasons discussed there but look at both options.....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a 3 day drive - Toronto to Orlando with kids

If you like baseball you could look into a Pittsburgh Pirates or Atlanta Braves game as it is along your planned route.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a 3 day drive - Toronto to Orlando with kids

There are many more hotels, motels and fast food joints along 75. That's about the only reason to go that way. As far as scenery it's extremely boring except for the lower half of Kentucky, all of Tennessee and the very north of Georgia. The rest is overwhelmingly dull.

Lots of rest stops, motels and restaurants on your initially planned route as well. I think you should stick to Erie, Pittsburgh, Charleston, Charlotte, Columbia, Jacksonville and Orlando route instead for a much more scenic ride. It's ultimately up to you.....and your planned route is about 2 hours quicker.

Edited: 25 May 2012, 20:41
Ajax, Ontario...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a 3 day drive - Toronto to Orlando with kids

Did you take this trip? How did it go? We are planning on making the drive in Sept and I am trying to map out the best places to stop and spend the night along the way. We are also planning on spending two nights. Any help or info would be great.

Thanks

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a 3 day drive - Toronto to Orlando with kids

I drove the I75 route (north bournd) and the I81 and 95 (south bound) routes this past February/March. Of those two I much preferred the I81 and 95 route. I found the I75 route a little more boring, and the travel through the mountains on I75 much more difficult. I know I'm the only person I've ever heard of who preferred it that way though.

ktown

La Libertad, El...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for a 3 day drive - Toronto to Orlando with kids

As the OP of this year old thread was in Burlington their route made sense, however from Ajax I would use I-75, way less congestion & cities to deal with.

8. Re: Suggestions for a 3 day drive - Toronto to Orlando with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 05:16