We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel for family

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
165 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
hotel for family

I am looking for a hotel for my husband and myself and two large teenage boys. We mainly stay at suite hotels when we travel, however I am having difficulty finding a hotel for us in Toronto center for the our travel dates Aug 3 leaving Aug 5th. Does anybody know if there is a special event going on in Toronto City during that time? We cannot change our travel dates and we would be disappointed if we had to change our travel plans. I wouldn't mind staying outside of the city and travel in on train or by car and park (as long as there is reasonable parking) however I am not familiar with Canada at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Toronto
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel for family

It looks like your visit is during the final weekend of the Caribbean Carnival. It will be very busy around the city that weekend.

torontocaribbeancarnival.com/…

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel for family

That is also a long weekend in Ontario with Monday August 6th being the Civic Holiday. Parking at any downtown hotel will be expensive (comparable to Boston) but you could stay in a hotel on or near the Subway www.ttc.ca or GO Train www.gotransit.com

What activities do you have planned for the weekend? Knowing that might help us give you suggestions for suburban hotels or if you will just need to bit the bullet and stay downtown. Downtown will be busy and loud with the Caribbean Carnival that weekend.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
165 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel for family

Hello,

We have not made any plans yet. I love your suggestion staying outside of downtown, somewhere on the transit line etc. When we go to Manhattan, we stay outside in a suburb (Westchester) a beautiful area about a 35 minute train ride and we don't mind a bit.

We are game for almost everything. Our teens are 15 and 17 year old boys. My husband and my 17 year old are history buffs and myself I love shopping. My 15 year old likes games etc.

Any suggestions you can provide would be so........appreciated.

Thank you,

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel for family

Oakville would be the most similar to Westchester and there are several new suite type hotels.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel for family

Burlington Ontario is located about 30 miles west of Toronto right on the shores of Lake Ontario. It is a city of about 150,000 people with a very cute downtown area. This hotel is located right on the water. Ask for a lake view room if you decide on this place.

You will be located right on the GO Train line which heads straight into Union Station in Toronto. The ride itself is about 50 minutes on the train with the double decker cars and will cost approx $7.50 each way to Union Station from the Burlington Train Station.

Here is the link to the hotel.

…trvlclick.com/index.cfm

Here is a link to a map showing where Burlington lies in proximity to Toronto. By the way, Oakville is a good choice too located about 15 minutes closer to Toronto. It's the town next to Burlington going towards Toronto. Not sure about the hotels there. Good luck

…foundlocally.com/Images/Oakville-Burlington…

Edited: 31 May 2012, 16:53
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,839 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel for family

Did you try the Cambridge Suites? That should work well with your two sons.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
865 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel for family

Another option to try -- Toronto Don Valley Hotel and Suites. Situated at Eglinton Avenue E and the Don Valley Parkway, mid-townish. Tons of buses run along Eglinton to the Yonge subway if you don't want to take your car downtown. Very close to the Science Centre.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
165 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel for family

Hello,

I was going to book the Waterfall Hotel, the views are amazing. However after reading the reviews have decided against it. I am now thinkging the Quality Hotel or Homewood Suites.

Thank you,

Patty

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,954 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel for family

Hi Patty;

Where is the "Waterfall Hotel" located ? I don't see a listing for it on TA, and can't locate a hotel by that name, in the area, on Google.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel for family

Seems highly likely PFlynn is referring to Burlington's Waterfront Hotel, which was suggested to them in post #5.