We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eastern Canada Itinerary

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Eastern Canada Itinerary

I already bought my air travel tickets and planning on booking my hotels. Should I change anything in my itinerary

Day 1 Arrive at Montreal early in the morning and drive to Quebec. Arrive at around 1 pm

Day 2 Quebec

Day 3 Drive back to Montreal

Day 4 Montreal

Day 5 Montreal

Day 6 Drive to Niagara Falls

Day 7 Day at Niagara and in the afternoon drive to Toronto

Day 8. Day at Toronto

Day 9 Toronto

Day 10 Drive to Montreal and arrive in the afternoon.

Day 11 Leave Montreal at 10 am.

I just have 11 days and I must stay the last night at Montreal. Should I add or take away a night someplace ?

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eastern Canada Itinerary

I would only suggest that you consider picking up your rental car as you leave Montreal for Niagara as you likely won't need a car in Quebec or Montreal. There is frequent (and relatively inexpensive) flight, trains and busses from Montreal to Quebec.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
865 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eastern Canada Itinerary

The drive from Montreal to Niagara Falls is a looooong one - it will take most of your day. You may want to consider staying in Toronto that night, head out to Niagara Falls the next day, spend an overnight there, then head back to Toronto on Day 8.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eastern Canada Itinerary

On Day 6, be sure to avoid driving through Toronto and the QEW area through the afternoon rush hour.....leave early enough so you get through Oakville by 2pm latest or it will feel like a parking lot!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eastern Canada Itinerary

It's only a hour and half more if planned right...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eastern Canada Itinerary

Further to the comments above, you may be short changing Niagara Falls somewhat. It may be best to spend the entire day there & drive back to Toronto in the evening after the traffic has died down.

Your time allocations are otherwise pretty realistic, although you will be spending 2 of your 11 days on the highway between Toronto & Montreal, which seems a bit of a waste of your precious time. Flying between is faster but obviously adds cost.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eastern Canada Itinerary

Fair enough on the precious time on the road, though our nice highways may be a welcomed change from driving in Mexico!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eastern Canada Itinerary

Since you have already booked flights, it may not be possible but it would make much more sense to fly to Montreal and back home from Toronto. You are using up valuable vacation time on dull highway driving, change your flights if you can.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eastern Canada Itinerary

I know TomTO, that would've the best idea. But I can't change that not I'm not planning on buying tickets ( we are 5). What I was seeing is that the drive from Montreal to Toronto is just 1hr and a half more or 1 hour (via the US) than to Toronto. So it is 7 hours, but I don't know what else to do.

Seeing some tips from you should I do this

Day 1 Arrive at Montreal and drive Quebec

Day2 Quebec

Day 3 Drive to Montreal

Day 4 Montreal

Day 5 Montreal

Day 6 Drive to Toronto

Day 7 Drive early to Niagara Falls and spend the whole day here plus the next morning

Day 8 Drive back to Toronto after morning

Day 9 Spend my day in Toronto

Day 10 Drive to Montreal after 13:00, arrive to a Montreal Airport Hotel just to sleep and give back the car

Day 11: Fly back home at 10:00 am

And I did checked and the prices are pretty much the same, so should I rent a car until departing from Montreal to Niagara/Toronto? No car needed in Montreal nor Quebec?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eastern Canada Itinerary

bump.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eastern Canada Itinerary

Sorry but we think you're not leaving enough time for Toronto now. We'd stick with the long day from Montreal to Niagara Falls then head back to Toronto the following evening after a full day in the Falls.