We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Return Trip from Toronto to Georgian Bay Coastal Route

Dubai
5 posts
Save Topic
RV Return Trip from Toronto to Georgian Bay Coastal Route

Hi people,

I am planning a round trip from Toronto to Georgian Bay Coastal Route on an RV. Need guidance on the best RV Campsites on the following route/locations:

-1). Barrie

-2). Honey Harbour

-3). Parry Sound

-4). Killarney

-5). Espanola

-6). South Baymouth

-7). Tobermory

-8). Owen South

-9). Wasaga Beach

-10). Midland

i am looking for advise regarding cost, cleanliness, amenities for kids, water, wi-fi, and sewerage related facilities.

Thanks in advance......

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,024 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV Return Trip from Toronto to Georgian Bay Coastal Route

Welcome to TripAdvisor, trident3571;

It would be helpful knowing when you are planning this trip for, and how long you have to complete the trip.

Best Regards

p.s. stop #8 is Owen Sound - not "Owen South"

Dubai
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: RV Return Trip from Toronto to Georgian Bay Coastal Route

Hi.

thanks for your advise.

Our itinerary would be to start from Toronto on July 11th and return to Toronto on July 21st. Approximately 10 days in all.

Warm regards

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,024 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV Return Trip from Toronto to Georgian Bay Coastal Route

You're Welcome !

Are you asking about this summer ?

If so, you may find it very hard to find campgrounds with availability, at this late date.

Best Regards

Dubai
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RV Return Trip from Toronto to Georgian Bay Coastal Route

Yes it would be this year.

I have been looking for online bookings and quite a few are still available. Need advise as to which ones are clean and have good water, sewerage, and wi-fi facilities.

When I read reviews, a lot of them seem to have deteriorated over the years. Since, this will be my first endeavor ; am trying to commit minimal mistakes :-)

Warm regards.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV Return Trip from Toronto to Georgian Bay Coastal Route

Hi Dubai

I am sorry I really can't offer too much information about the camp sites but I am assuming you are not planning to stay in each of these locations because they are quite close together. If you are leaving from Toronto, Barrie is only 45min away, I think you would enjoy Killarney as your first stop. It is a beautiful park and if you enjoy hiking and canoeing you can not ask for better. It is approx a three hour drive from Toronto. Espanola really is not a destination site, it is a very small papermill town. I think you would prefer to head right to South Baymouth, or anywhere on Manitoulin Island. You could definitely spend 2-3 days exploring the island. After that point I can not really offer any constructive advice. Hope you have a great trip, it is a beautiful area of Ontario.

Dubai
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RV Return Trip from Toronto to Georgian Bay Coastal Route

Thanks ter2006 for your advice and kind wishes.

Will follow it up.

Warm regards.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RV Return Trip from Toronto to Georgian Bay Coastal Route

This site might help you with reviews :

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Ontario/

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: RV Return Trip from Toronto to Georgian Bay Coastal Route

While ker2006 is right that some of your drives seem a bit short for the trouble, I think she's also underestimating some of them -- Killarney is NOT 3 hours from Toronto, it is at least 5, probably more in an RV.

Barrie is about an hour north of Toronto, Honey Harbour is another 45 minutes north of Barrie, Parry Sound is at most an hour north of Honey Harbour, Killarney perhaps 3 hours north and west from Parry Sound. The Owen Sound - Wasaga - Midland leg of the trip would also give you less than an hour of driving per day.

I'd think about skipping the stop in Barrie, since it's not on Georgian Bay and there wouldn't be much to see in terms of scenery, and combining Wasaga and Midland into one stop. Same with Espanola and South Baymouth probably. Reducing the number of places where you spend a night will give you more time in the places you do. Killarney is definitely worth at least two nights, and one could say the same of Tobermory.

Dubai
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: RV Return Trip from Toronto to Georgian Bay Coastal Route

Thanks. Since I am going to visit Canada for the first time, this advice will come in handy. If I were to rent a car and drive with my family, which hotels (3-4star) would you recommend?

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RV Return Trip from Toronto to Georgian Bay Coastal Route

I am sorry tweed but I am going to have to disagree with you. I live in the South end of Sudbury and I can make it to 400/401 in 3 1/2 hours and that is doing not more than 105km in the single lanes and 115 in the double lanes. The Killarney turn off is approx 20 minutes south of Sudbury and it is about a 1/2 drive from the highway to the Killarney Provencial Park. Trust me I drive this route at least 10-15 times a year. If we do not stop we can make Sudbury to Barrie in 2 1/2 hours.