We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to see for first visit

st.helens
4 posts
Save Topic
what to see for first visit

my husband and myself will be visiting toronto and niagara on 20/4-30/4.this is our first visit and one i have been dreaming of for ages. can you advise places to go. we enjoy shopping and have read about hersheys choc factory. also we are staying in the sheraton on the falls. Is this hotel as good as it looks in the brochure?

only 2 weeks to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to see for first visit

I'm not sure of a Hershey's Chocolate Factory (maybe some of the other locals might know of it) but I thought that was in Hershey, Pennysylvania, USA. There is an awsome choclatier in the distillery district by the name of SOMA. (part of the Oliver Bonacini group) They have a website.

If you do a search, there are lots of threads on what to see or do here, but my personal favourites are the Markets (St. Lawrence and Kensington) and our many neighbourhoods such as Chinatown, Greektown, Little Italy and Gerrard India Bazaar to name a few.

Toronto
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what to see for first visit

it took a bit but here it is...the website for hershey's in niagara falls...

cliftonhill.com/niagara_falls_shopping/…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what to see for first visit

BTW, there's also a Hershey factory in Smiths Falls, Ontario (www.hersheys.com/discover/smithsfalls.asp), but hopefully that's not what you meant -- it's a few hours in the opposite direction from Toronto.

As for things to do: SnowFallingOnCedars did a ten day trip to Toronto and Niagara, just like yours, and wrote up detailed, very readable trip reports. They'd be a great place to get ideas. The first day is tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155019-i55-k31885… and Snow's added a link to the next day as the last reply on each.

Toronto
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to see for first visit

Are you hotelling only in Niagara and considering day trip(s) to Toronto? If so, plan about 90 minutes driving time into downtown Toronto and possibly as much as 2 hrs. for the return trip; there are two outbound traffic bottlenecks along the highway. Not a big deal. Just be aware and plan accordingly.

st.helens
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what to see for first visit

thanks to you all. We are staying in days hotel carlton st toronto for 3 nights then to sheraton on the falls for 3 nights and back to days inn for another 4 nights. are we near all the shopping. I have read about some shops underground somewhere. got my tickets today and now really excited!!! we want to see as much as possible in the time we are there. been told must do cn tower. also will the maid of the mist be open, really want to do that one!! also what will the weather be like as not sure what to pack. is it jeans and a jumper or t shirt weather? want to ask so many questions but dont know where to start. my last question for this post is we are room only so where can we get some good meals fairly cheaply.

thanks

chrissyb1

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what to see for first visit

I think I can answer most of your questions:

It's 2 degrees (Celsius) here now, but it's supposed to be up to 18 on Wednesday. April weather is very mixed. Your best bet is to pack clothes that are light enough for warmish weather, with sweaters and/or jackets to pull on in case it's colder. You can get a 10-day forecast at weather.com/outlook/…CAXX0504 .

Maid of the Mist starts up April 12.

The Days Inn is a very central location. You're at the "College" subway station and ~10 min walk to the Eaton Centre, a huge mall. A couple of other big shopping areas are Queen St W (at the south end of the Eaton Centre, with quirky shops the further west you go) and Yorkville (high-end boutiques on and just north of Bloor St.)

The underground shops you heard about are probably the PATH system, which connects various malls and office buildings via tunnels under the streets. The Eaton Centre is connected to the PATH. It's a great way to move around downtown without getting cold/wet in bad weather, but most of the shops aren't anything special.

st.helens
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what to see for first visit

thank you all for the information. will keep in mind about the weather. will be there soon.

thanks again

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to see for first visit

Lots to eat for cheap in that area, here is a "cut and paste" of recommendations I gave to another visitor to the Days Inn:

For Breakfast, avoid Fran's or Golden Griddle, instead try the Senator down at Victoria and Dundas, 1 block behind The Hard Rock Cafe at Dundas Square (Toronto's oldest diner, c. 1929) Awesome Pancakes and maple syrup and great coffee. Eggspectation on Yonge Street is O.K. too, but is pricier, has less atmo and usually lined up.

There is a great Indian restauant on Yonge Street just around the corner from you called Kathmandu and a great middle eastern, fast food place called "Red and White" next door to Kathmandu.

Also, just up Yonge Street from you is a (open late) coffee place called Espresso Rose and great gourmet Pizza called Amato's.

At Yonge and Gerrard, Doner Kebab is a great snack choice too.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

-UF

st.helens
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: what to see for first visit

Me again

getting ready to fly out on thursday and have just had a thought. how much will we need to tip the hotel porters/waiters etc. I think someone said that if you have a meal then it is 20% but dont know about the porters in the hotels. can someone please advise as we dont want to appear miserly.

thanks

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to see for first visit

chrissyb1 the main tourist attractions in Toronto include the Toronto Zoo, Royal Ontario Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario (but now undergoing rebuilding) and Ontario Science Centre. But for some alternatives see the thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155019-i55-k50672…

If you are going to Niagara Falls by car consider a trip along the Niagara Parkway into Niagara-on-the-Lake, a delightful little town with lots of shops.

Have a great trip.