We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambassador hotel 321 Jarvis street

GALE
Level Contributor
141 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Ambassador hotel 321 Jarvis street

We have booked 3 nights at the Ambassador hotel. 321 Jarvis street using Booking.com. They rate it 8+. Since thane I have read some horrible reveiws onT.A.. However on rechecking, the reviews are 2007/8. Some of the reviews on Booking.com mention about construction work that has taken place. Also I note the hotel now also goes under the name comfort inn.

My questions therefore are

Has it been refurbishd and finished?

Is the hotel now OK ?

Is the area outside safe?

How far is it to nearest subway station?

Thanks in advance

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambassador hotel 321 Jarvis street

You are at the corner of Jarvis and Gerrard about halfway between the Dundas and College subway stations on the Yonge line. I live just north of there and it would not be my first choice. The exterior was renovated a few years ago but I haven't been inside. The neighbourhood is safe but somewhat noisy and includes a lot of government owned and student housing.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambassador hotel 321 Jarvis street

Your focus there would be entirely to the west. The neighbourhood immediately to the east is not the best. It's about a 5 minute walk in either direction north or south to a streetcar line that connects to the subway, or about a 10 minute walk to either of the two subway stations mentioned above by traveller_yyz.

Also no recommended restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

S B
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambassador hotel 321 Jarvis street

It's the not the greatest area...but close enough to subway.

S B
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambassador hotel 321 Jarvis street

Can you cancel it?

Could you try priceline or hotwire for something better?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ambassador hotel 321 Jarvis street

Ditto to all the above. If you just go west to Yonge, most of the walk is through the Ryerson University campus and should be fine.

BTW, if you compare the front of the hotel as seen on Google Maps Street view (which is a 2009 picture) to the photo on Booking.com (which is accurate to what's there today), it's obvious it's an older, unglamorous building but they at least put some significant effort into the exterior.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ambassador hotel 321 Jarvis street

I suggest you go back to Booking.com and ask them how they get their info. At the time they had it going for 8+, that may have more reflected the number of people they could put through one room in one night than the quality of the hotel. Respectfully suggest you find a way to undo that booking.

GALE
Level Contributor
141 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ambassador hotel 321 Jarvis street

My most sincere thanks for your very knowledgable and informative replies.

My wife and I are now retired, and like to travel, and part of the fun is in plannng the trip.It is easy to just use a travel agent, but not as exciting or fulfilling as self booking with the help of the internet and TA members. There is also the need to keep within a budget on a pension.

I have fortunately booked the hotel with the provision for free cancellatiion. I will now look elsewhere, on Booking.com possibly Holiday Inn Express.

I have spent years in the construction industry, working all over the UK and the middleeast. I would never dream of using the top names when in London and would instead use a good B&B especially for 3 nights. But when I am in a unknown country can not risk gettng it too wrong with my wife with me..

If anyone has any recomendations I would be very grateful.Meanwhile once again THANK YOU to you all.

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ambassador hotel 321 Jarvis street

The Holiday Inn Express at Jarvis and Lombard is a much better location than the Comfort Inn but I don't think that the rooms have been renovated or updated recently and be aware that there are a number of social service agencies on that block- not an issue for me, but you will often see people outside smoking, drinking coffee etc. The Holiday Inn on Carlton is newly renovated and all of the Marriott, Sheraton and Hilton properties are well reviewed and well located.You are also pretty safe with a Priceline Bid in either of the Downtown zones. Try betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com for more info before you bid.

Unfortunately, B & B's are not as well developed in urban areas of North America as they are in other parts of the world.

S B
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ambassador hotel 321 Jarvis street

Keep an eye on Travel Zoo as well

http://www.travelzoo.com/ca/top20/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ambassador hotel 321 Jarvis street

The Cambridge Suites Hotel at Ricmond and Yonge may be another good option if it is in you budget....