We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is fun stuff to do that locals do in toronto or outside

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
165 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
What is fun stuff to do that locals do in toronto or outside

My wife, our 5 old month baby and I are planning to go to toronto the begining of september for 4 days. This is my 5th time in toronto and we usually go to the beer tour, St lawrence market, grab a drink, we like to eat, etc. we would like to find new things to do so we wont get bored to go to the same places. where to eat, bar scene, neighborhoods, festivals, shows, etc. BTW we love Toronto, great city.

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is fun stuff to do that locals do in toronto or outside

Some ideas:

-check out the Distillery District (Mill St Brewery is a good place for lunch and beer)

-if the weather is still nice you can take the ferry across to Toronto Islands, there are beaches and paths to walk along

-Toronto International Film Festival is Sept 6-16, great chance to do some people watching and catch a movie

Toronto
Level Contributor
413 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is fun stuff to do that locals do in toronto or outside

The weather should be very nice -- and Torontonians love their patios! A local paper, the GridTO, has been running some articles about favourite bar and restaurant patios:

thegridto.com/life/…

http://www.thegridto.com/grid-picks/patio/

Toronto
Level Contributor
413 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is fun stuff to do that locals do in toronto or outside

Also (since there's a lot to wade through), I can vouch for the fact that Terroni on Queen St West has a lovely patio. Based on what I've read on this board, the verdict is still out on how good their pizza really is. But I've been there with an infant (not my own), and was a little worried about how the dinner would go -- in the end, the staff couldn't have been nicer.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,468 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is fun stuff to do that locals do in toronto or outside

Two more great areas to try are Little Italy, and Kensington Market....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,468 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is fun stuff to do that locals do in toronto or outside

Also try the Yorkville area, near Bloor and Avenue Rd.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is fun stuff to do that locals do in toronto or outside

The Danforth, between Broadview and Pape Aves. (and subway stations) for loads of Greek restaurants and patios.

Queen St. west, between Bathurst and Dufferin Sts. for lots of cool bars, shops and restaurants.

Baldwin Village on Baldwin St. between McCaul and Beverley Sts. for many different small restaurants in a quaint area. Also close to the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO), Chinatown and Kensington Market for combining multiple destinations in one go.

Koreatown on Bloor St. running between Christie and Bathurst Sts. (and subway stations) obviously for many Korean restaurants and shops, definitely stop by the small bakery Hodo Kwaja, on the north side of Bloor (near Palmerston) for the yummy walnut cakes. Can also continue on Bloor all the way east from Bathurst to Spadina for the fun and lively Annex neighbourhood (due to the nearby University of Toronto) loaded with shops, restaurants and pubs not all catering to just students.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Edited: 08 August 2012, 03:57
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,204 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is fun stuff to do that locals do in toronto or outside

After 5 visits you're definitely ready to visit some of our great neighbourhoods. Check out The Danforth (aka Greektown) for some nice shops & great Greek dining. Little Italy on College W. also has a ton of atmosphere & more great dining. As previously mentioned, Kensington Market is really a great destination if you like to experience a bohemian vibe, fun shopping & good inexpensive food. Right next door is one of the city's Chinatowns, certainly the biggest downtown. Back over on the east side of downtown you might enjoy a stroll in Leslieville, centred at Queen St E & Leslie St, and further east The Beach neighbourhood is sure to please with its great boardwalk along the lake & it's lively shopping & eating on Queen St.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What is fun stuff to do that locals do in toronto or outside

Snakes & Lattes http://www.snakesandlattes.com in Koreatown

Sept. 6 Fashion’s Night Out - First time in Toronto

For updates: http://www.fashionsnightout.com

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is fun stuff to do that locals do in toronto or outside

I go to toronto twice a year but still am a stranger...always working when I'm there. Kensington market on a stifling hot summer day is a great couple hours....enough to make me think Toronto is worth moving to!

I'm looking forward to checking out the beaches this trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What is fun stuff to do that locals do in toronto or outside

Like to eat:

Current novelty food trucks

Air show, attractions & food at CNE http://www.theex.com/