We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC then Toronto or the other way round / August weather

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
NYC then Toronto or the other way round / August weather

Hi everyone, I'm planning my trips for next year at the moment (partly so I can use air miles when booking flights!) and I was thinking of visiting both NYC and Toronto during one trip.

I'm wondering which way round people thought would be better - New York first then fly to Toronto, or the other way? I've also asked this in the New York forum to hopefully get a mix of responses!

Also I've read in several places that Toronto can get very hot in the summer, is it unpleasant in August? I quite like heat but prefer dry heat (e.g. Vegas) to very humid (e.g. Florida).

Looking forward to visiting Canada, have wanted to for years!

Thanks!

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
754 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC then Toronto or the other way round / August weather

Hi Tom, I live in Toronto, and visit NYC 4X each year. NYC is much hotter and probably more humid than Toronto in August. According to the weathernetwork, the average August maximum and minimum temperatures in NYC are 30C and 25C. I couldn't find any statistics for relative humidity. For Toronto it is 25C and 17C. Today the temperature in both cities is 32C, and it's humid here today in Toronto.

As for which city to visit first, I would go to NYC first. I think you would be able to relax a bit more here, before returning home.

Hope you can make the trip next year Tom !!

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC then Toronto or the other way round / August weather

That's a *really* helpful reply FlyAtNight - thank you! I appreciate that. :-)

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
754 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC then Toronto or the other way round / August weather

Tom, what about flying in and out of one of New York or Toronto, renting a car and driving to the other city. Depending on how much you want to go off of the direct route, you can also visit Boston, Niagara Falls, Philadelphia, or even Washington. I don't know how much time you have, so this might not even be an option.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
754 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC then Toronto or the other way round / August weather

Tom - you're most welcome. Going to check the NY forum to see what advice you've been given.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC then Toronto or the other way round / August weather

I really don't think it matters which one you visit first. They're both great cities. It's like saying, "should I go to Paris first or London". Again, I don't think it matters at all. You'll have a nice time in both.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC then Toronto or the other way round / August weather

I like the idea of going to NYC first, a little more relaxing end to a trip....

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
754 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC then Toronto or the other way round / August weather

Hi there TD - I wanted to say to the OP to save the best for last, but it really does make sense to go to NYC first.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC then Toronto or the other way round / August weather

If avoiding hot, humid weather is important to you, you'd be better off coming in mid- to late-September. That's a great time of year, weather-wise, in both cities.

Or, if you must travel in August, then weather-wise it'd make sense to go to Toronto first and NYC second... going to NYC a few days later might make it a smidge cooler.

Either way, keep in mind that September 5-15, 2013 is the Toronto International Film Festival, which is the hardest time of year to find a reasonably-priced hotel room in the city.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,402 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC then Toronto or the other way round / August weather

I also think Toronto first, NYC second, as post # 8 above.............the climate in NYC is somewhat warmer, it's south of Toronto..................

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC then Toronto or the other way round / August weather

If saving the best for last, I'd say Toronto..

If better weather, I'd say Toronto, they are both humid but Toronto has less of a noticable stench...

I'm obviously pro-Toronto...