We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI. Successfully took the subway and bus to the airport.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
321 reviews
Save Topic
FYI. Successfully took the subway and bus to the airport.

Often see on here the question about getting a shuttle to/from the airport or to take bus/subway. This is my experience last week.

I had got the train into Toronto from Montreal so this is just the journey from downtown to the airport. (Pearson).

I was staying at the Royal York with my wife. I had checked the price of the shuttle bus, over $40 for both of us. Our flight wasnt until 6pm. We had plenty of time on our hands so I pitched the idea to my wife, who said she was game.

I had previously gone and got us both subway tokens, so as not to do it when we had our cases with us. We both had a medium to large trolley case each. My wife had a couple of hand bags and I had another bag I put over my shoulder.

We went to union station and got the subway(university line to St George). 2pm in the afternoon, both got seats, no problem with luggage. Changed there to Bloor/Danforth line towards Kipling. You have to get the escalator down. Got on train to Kipling(last stop). train a little busier, but still got seats no problem having our cases in front of us.

At Kipling went up escalator and got 192 Airport Rocket. Bus was waiting. Bus busy, still everyone got a seat. Many on there had cases, some bigger than ours. The odd one or two got off. Only one person got on. A bit tighter with our bags being in front of us, but still ok.

The whole journey took just over an hour. We didnt feel hassled and found it to be pretty plain sailing. Would definately do the same again if i had time on my hands. Might be less inclined from the airport to downtown if it was later or if I had got off a long flight. Would certainly do it both ways with hand luggage only.

$3.00 each. For total journey and pretty quick. I have got shuttle buses in the past and I always seem to be the last drop off, which can get pretty tiring after a long flight and can take ages too. You don't have worries with traffic jams to and from Kipling!!

Hope this helps.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI. Successfully took the subway and bus to the airport.

Thanks for the detailed report, and glad the TTC worked out for you.

BTW, the Toronto Airport Express only makes one stop between the Royal York and the airport. But I know what you mean about extra stops, and if your hotel is further north (like the Delta Chelsea), you can spend a ton of time on the Toronto Airport Express just stopping at other downtown hotels.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FYI. Successfully took the subway and bus to the airport.

Hi Matt,

Yeah I knew the Royal York was one of the last stops, but we had time on our hands and decided to give the TTC a whirl. Thought it might be of use to people in the future and for those who stay in other downtown hotels.

I once got a shuttle bus from JFK. We were the last off and must have almost passed our hotel loads of times zig zagging Manhatten.!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: FYI. Successfully took the subway and bus to the airport.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the TTC route to the airport and have used it many times myself.

My worst airport shuttle experience -- not in Toronto! -- combined three frustrations into a single trip: (1) mine was the last stop, (2) the bus dropped off and picked up at the same time, so we sat and waited because we were "ahead of schedule", and (3) the driver insisted on making a pun for every hotel (e.g. "A heavy burden is easier when you spread it among friends... next stop Share-a-ton").

For JFK, the AirTrain/LIRR combo ain't bad, if your hotel's near Penn Station.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FYI. Successfully took the subway and bus to the airport.

Funny you say that about the air train/ LIRR. We did that last time on the way back to JFK last year.. I would do that every time now. we were staying a couple of blocks from Penn too.

I think these options are good if it's not your first time at a place and are a pretty experienced traveler. Otherwise i would recommend a shuttle. Especially on arrival.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,641 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FYI. Successfully took the subway and bus to the airport.

Mystic.............glad to hear about your positive TTC experience , and appreciate you taking the time to share it with us..................

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,427 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FYI. Successfully took the subway and bus to the airport.

The only reason I chose the Airport Express bus instead of using the subway was because I wanted to arrive into the city above ground so I could look at everything. I would have got the subway if I'd known how long the bus took, and also saved a fair bit of money as well.

For New York last year, I stayed in Long Island City, and simply got the Airtrain & subway from JFK both ways to my hotel & back to JFK

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FYI. Successfully took the subway and bus to the airport.

Getting to the airport is not that bad and it's good to hear it from travelers, it saves people a ton of money!

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FYI. Successfully took the subway and bus to the airport.

Good to hear it's not too bad. I used to take it but had a couple of bad experiences with overcrowded buses (depends on timing I guess, how busy it is) and gave up. This makes me think I should try it again.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,588 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FYI. Successfully took the subway and bus to the airport.

Like Doeraymee, I have taken it many times - and will continue to take it. Just can't see spending the extra money for the Airport Express or a cab when TTC is pretty easy. However, my last experience the day after Labour day was terrible - at least the Rocket part.. I guess all the bad things that could happen did . It was rush hour, the traffic was worse than normal, there was construction. When the bus finally came there were so many people squashed in with all their luggage. So the whole thing took 2 hours instead of the normal 1 hour.

So I guess my word of caution is, if you plan to do the trip during rush hour, build in extra time just in case.

raquel

10. Re: FYI. Successfully took the subway and bus to the airport.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2013, 10:17