We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please, 1 day in TO with no vehicle

Cranbrook, BC
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice please, 1 day in TO with no vehicle

I'm travelling alone and will have one full day to spend in Toronto between a flight from CUBA and a flight home to BC.Since I'm arriving at about midnight

I'm staying at a hotel near the airport. I've already booked a ticket to go see HAIR, but would like advice on what I can see or do using city transit or the occasional cab?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please, 1 day in TO with no vehicle

V

You'll be right downtown, since Hair is at the Bluma Appel Theatre, St Lawrence Ctr at 27 Front Street E. You'll want to take in St Lawrence Market. If a sports fan (or not) Hockey Hall of Fame. Additional sites nearby include the Eaton Ctr and CN Tower. The subway at Union Station is nearby, so you'll have many options.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lawrence Market
St. Lawrence Market
11,081 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Hockey Hall of Fame
Hockey Hall of Fame
3,387 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
CN Tower
CN Tower
20,106 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please, 1 day in TO with no vehicle

I'm not sure about getting from the airport to the downtown area, but I'm sure your hotel will be able to help you with that.

Once you're downtown you can but a transit pass for the day which will let you take subways and street cars (and probably buses too) all you want. The cost is $8.50 so it's pretty reasonable. You should be able to get all around the city with the TTC pass.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please, 1 day in TO with no vehicle

Tell us which hotel and we'll tell you exactly how to get downtown by transit, V. Downtown you also have the Royal Ontario Museum though that could consume the whole day by itself. Consider including perhaps one of the smaller more specialized attractions such as the Bata Shoe Museum or the Design Exchange or a tour of the Provincial Legislature. If you want a good view of the city skyline take a ferry out to Toronto Island and back.

Have a good visit.

Mentioned in this post
Royal Ontario Museum
Royal Ontario Museum
7,004 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Bata Shoe Museum
Bata Shoe Museum
1,065 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Cincinnati
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please, 1 day in TO with no vehicle

There is a bus (the Lawrence East bus, I think) that takes you directly from the airport to Lawrence Subway Station. Then, you are just 5-7 stops from midtown toronto. It will take about 45 minutes and is pretty circuitous but the cheapest option possible. You can also take the airport express which costs about $12 each way and takes about 30 minutes but much more comfortable. They stop at a number of downtown hotels and you can go on from there!

Cranbrook, BC
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please, 1 day in TO with no vehicle

Thank you all for your advice. I'll be at a hotel with a shuttle to/from the airport so I kind of figured I'd shuttle back to the airport in the morning and try to transit my way downtown from there. I've looked at maps, but having no clue where in anything is in Toronto. I was not sure if that was a good or bad idea. I'd love to go to one of the markets, and the CN tower has always had an appeal so it is wonderful to hear that they are also relatively close to the theatre. Any other suggestions in that same general area?

Also any idea what a cab costs from Downtown to Brampton?

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
CN Tower
CN Tower
20,106 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Brampton
Brampton
Ontario, Canada
northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please, 1 day in TO with no vehicle

Hello. If you have a love for books or unique magazines check out the World's Biggest Bookstore at 20 Edward Street it's open all day.. every day.. and every evening, it is a fascinating place to spend an hour or more. Also the St. Lawrence Market is a great place, but do know that it is closed on Sunday and Monday's. If you like to shop try the Eaton's Centre or Sherway Gardens they are upscale type malls . If you prefer boutiques there are many in the city and two of my favorite are Putti and French Country. I always recommend a tour of Casa Loma which is basically Toronto's only castle and it is amazing with beautiful gardens too. If you have a love for music there is the Toronto Music Garden...apparently there is no other such gardens in the world and is located on the waterfront at 475 Queen's Quay West between Bathurst Street & Spadina Avenue. You can take the the Spadina 510 streetcar south from the Spadina subway station or the LRT Harbourfront Line going west from Union Station. It is a wonderful place which is inspried from the music of Bach. As far as I know there is no admission fee, but you may want to check to make sure. If you like Italian food try Donatellos, (on Elm Street across from the Delta Chelsea Hotel) it has authentic Italian food and is very reasonably priced. Hope this helps a little.

Mentioned in this post
Edward Hotel North York
Edward Hotel North York
7 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
St. Lawrence Market
St. Lawrence Market
11,081 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Sherway Gardens
Sherway Gardens
118 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Casa Loma
Casa Loma
6,155 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Toronto Music Garden
Toronto Music Garden
146 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Spadina Avenue
Spadina Avenue
124 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
7,050 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice please, 1 day in TO with no vehicle

V

For your second question regarding a cab from dowtown Toronto to Brampton, I suspect it's in the $60 range. Most people would consider public transit: www.gotransit.com

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Brampton
Brampton
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice please, 1 day in TO with no vehicle

V, to answer your transit & taxi questions:

Yes, hopping the hotel shuttle back to the airport is probably the easiest way to get downtown. The Airport Express is the faster bus ($28.35 return; get off at the Royal York hotel; last bus from downtown 12:30 am). The TTC is cheaper and your best bet is their 192 "Airport Rocket" bus ($2.75 one-way; last bus from Kipling 2:15 am).

Airport Express: http://www.torontoairportexpress.com

TTC: www.toronto.ca/ttc/service_to_airport.htm

You'll find a handy map of downtown and most of the sights mentioned above on the back of the TTC's free "Ride Guide" brochure. There may be copies at the front of your bus, or ask at the collector's booth at any subway station.

I agree with ABTraveller on taxi costs to Brampton. (Brampton is large, so it does depend on where in Brampton.) A taxi from downtown Toronto to the airport is about $45 + tip.

One last comment: don't try to squeeze in so many sights that you feel rushed! You're not going to be able to see everything in one day so you might as well take the time to really enjoy the sights you get to.

Mentioned in this post
Fairmont Royal York
Fairmont Royal York
4,148 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Brampton
Brampton
Ontario, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice please, 1 day in TO with no vehicle

V, if the weather is good and if you wear a comfortable pair of shoes, you could easily see many of the attractions in downtown Toronto just by walking. Toronto is a very walkable city, and with a little planning once you arrive, you could arrange to visit or at least see most of our key attractions on foot -- from the trendy Yorkville District near Bay & Bloor Streets all the way south to the CN Tower (and even further south to the Harbourfront area), then east to the St Lawrence Market district and the theatre where you will see Hair. The best thing about walking around is that it would let you see far more of the city -- and get a true feel of what Toronto is all "about" -- than you would see by taking a taxi or subway from place or place.

Just as an example: If you take public transit downtown from your airport hotel, you could get off the subway at any of four separate stations -- Yonge/Bloor, Bay, St George or Museum -- and wander around the Yorkville neighbourhood. Then you could head south on University Ave to see the Royal Ontario Museum, the Ontario legislative buildings and parts of the University of Toronto campus. A right turn onto College Street and a short walk west would take you to Spadina Avenue, where you could experience our main Chinatown district and stroll through the Kensington Market. Heading south from there, you could wander along funky Queen Street West for a while, then head back east on Queen Street to see Toronto's City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square at Queen & Bay Streets, and walk another block east to visit the Eaton Centre shopping mall. Walking south from there would take you through the Financial District, and a short walk west of that along Front Street is the CN Tower and Rogers Centre (formerly called SkyDome). Harbourfront is only a few blocks south. If you walk east on Front from the CN Tower, you'll find the St. Lawrence Market just a few blocks past Yonge Street. The market neighbourhood is worth a visit, including King Street East, from Jarvis as far as Parliament Street. A 10-minute walk southeast of the market is the historic Distillery District, which is a unique destination well worth visiting, especially if you enjoy art galleries.

Such a walking tour might sound ambitious and daunting, but you'll have a full day and I've done similar walks quite frequently with substantially less time than you'll have available. Besides, you'll find plenty of cafes, bars and restaurants along the way where you can stop for some refreshment and rest your feet. (And if you did get tired of walking along the way, you could easily hail a taxi or hop on a streetcar or the subway to get to your next destination).

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
CN Tower
CN Tower
20,106 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
St. Lawrence Market
St. Lawrence Market
11,081 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Royal Ontario Museum
Royal Ontario Museum
7,004 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
University of Toronto
University of Toronto
1,197 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
College Street
College Street
14 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Spadina Avenue
Spadina Avenue
124 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Queen Street
Queen Street
576 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Nathan Phillips Square
Nathan Phillips Square
786 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Rogers Centre
Rogers Centre
3,184 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Yonge Street
Yonge Street
855 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice please, 1 day in TO with no vehicle

Just as a variation on donnyb's theme, you could give your legs a rest at some point by going for a ride on one of the streetcars -- its just the price of a bus ticket. Any of them will show you an interesting slice of the city. Either ride it out to the end of its run and back or to a subway station and head somewhere else. www.ttc.ca is the transit commission's website with maps etc.