We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kingston and Niagara

Melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kingston and Niagara

Hi! I'm planning a trip along the east coast of Canada and is thinking of making an overnight stop in Kingston on my way from Ottawa to Toronto. Is there much to do and see in Kingston? I'm also thinking of doing a 1000 Island cruise but I heard that cruises don't actually leave from Kingston. If so, where do they leave and will it still be worth stopping in Kingston? (is the cruise worth doing in the first place???)

Also I'm planning to do a daytrip to Niagara. Is one day enough to see the falls? I heard there is some light show after dark, is that true? Are there anything else around Niagara that's worth seeing?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kingston and Niagara

Cruises leave from downtown Kingston, Brockville or Gananouque. Do a google search. We usually board at Gananouque(30 minute drive east of Kingston), where parking is free, and different choices of routes.

There is light show at the Niagara Falls after dark.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kingston and Niagara

also Gananoque is closer to the actual 1000 islands compared to Kingston so you'll spend more time looking at the islands.

http://www.1000islandsinfo.com/boat_tours.htm

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kingston and Niagara

Kingston is really quite nice. If you need a hotel there the Sheraton 4 Points downtown is quite nice, fairly new and very clean. Chez Piggy's is a great restaurant ...if you decide to go there it is best to have reservations, as it is very popular. There are tons of restaurants and bars in Kingston as it is a real university town and caters to the students. The university itself (Queen's) is worth a walk around as it is very interesting and has many old stone buildings, there is an art galery on the campus with a very nice little gift shop with the sorts of things you would see at a museum or gallery gift shop. Also downtown there are a few boutiques which have some unique items as well as handcrafted arts and craft type merchandise. Every Saturday there is a market downtown which you could come across just about anything. I am sorry I do not know much about the cruise other than my daughter and her boyfriend went on it and enjoyed it quite a lot. As far as Niagara Falls one day would be enough to see the falls and I do think you are right about the Falls being lit up every night and as well there are fireworks above the falls every Friday and Sunday nights in the summer and on special days like July 1st etc. If you are adventurous try the Maid of the Mist...it is a boat that literally brings you to the base of the falls, it is not for the faint of heart though and they do supply raincoats as you can get a little wet. My husband and I went on it and it is for sure an unforgettable experience. As far as other things to see around Niagara...there are many wineries a few minutes away at Niagara-on-the Lake which is a very pictuesque town... probably my favorite in all of Ontario. Hope you have a nice trip.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kingston and Niagara

Good advice from the previous posts. I'd just add a few things. One is to emphasize that the cruise out of Gananoque really is the best. Chez Piggy is an interesting restaurant though not everyone's cup of tea; here's a site listing Kingston restaurants: whatsonkingston.com/entertain/restant.html

For a really nice drive instead of heading west from Kingston towards Toronto and Niagara along the main highway (Highway 401) try Highway 33 aka for part of its length Loyalist Parkway. It includes a short car ferry at Glenora getting you on to Quinte Isle aka Prince Edward County. At Trenton it rejoins the 401 and you can continue onward. For maybe a difference of an extra hour or so in travel time you will get to see a very pretty part of the country. http://www.pec.on.ca/lpa/parkway.htm

For Niagara Falls it is important to note that there is much more to the are than just the falls themselves. The recommendation in the previous post of a side trip in to Niagara-on-the-Lake is an excellent one. The trip from the Falls to NOTL along River Road (aka the Niagara Parkway) was famously called by Churchill the prettiest Sunday afternoon drive in the world. http://home.comcast.net/~sceniclandscapes/photos/nfalls/park/index.html

Have a great vist.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kingston and Niagara

Thanks for all the advise!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kingston and Niagara

Melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kingston and Niagara

Kingston, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kingston and Niagara

Kingston is a great place to visit - the downtown area is very nice and filled with great shops and boutiques. You can walk down to the waterfront and catch the boat for the cruise or just sit and enjoy the scenery. I agree that Chez Piggy is not the best place to go for everyone. I would suggest if you want to have a great meal, you should try Greco's on Princess Street (the main Downtown street in Kingston). It is fantastic, affordable and delicious. Hope you have a great time.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kingston and Niagara

I lived in Kingston for more than a year, staying at hotels throughout, and therefore had dined at virtually all the downtown restaurants (except hotel restaurants) up tol Division street. I like Le Chien Noir, and Minos(Greek).

Melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kingston and Niagara

Thanks for all the advise. If I was to take a cruise out of Kingston, which company should I go with?