We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a WOW but affordable restaurant.....

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a WOW but affordable restaurant.....

for my 40th birthday which will be on the Friday we are in Toronto. I was considering the 360 restaurant at the top of the CN but was put off a little as I prefer a bit more standard fayre. The Horizons restaurant appeals more with the $32 3 course menu (appreciate this is summer at the moment and November will bring in the winter menu) and of course I will then get the wow views at night as opposed to the daytime when we will probably visit earlier in the holiday.

Any particular thoughts on this plan or has anybody got a better alternative? I am not looking for anything too special, preferring to be casual and enjoy simple but well cooked food. Reviews on TA seem to be a bit hit or miss so thought I would open up to the experts for the definitive answer.....

Thanks again for all your help with my questions.

Ju123

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a WOW but affordable restaurant.....

Two differences between Horizons restaurant and 360 that are worth noting: Horizons doesn't rotate, nor do you get free admission to the tower by eating there. If you get the CityPass, that probably only allows you up the tower once... so you'd want to plan carefully.

If the WOW factor you're looking for is in the views, it'll be hard to beat what you get from the top of the CN Tower. There are other Toronto restaurants with great views (Canoe, Scaramouche, and the Panorama Lounge come to mind) but they're pretty high-end as well. Simple, well-cooked, affordable food places can also be found, but probably won't have the million-dollar views.

Edited: 09 October 2012, 21:20
Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a WOW but affordable restaurant.....

What's your idea of WOW, please? I've got an idea of your budget, but what do you like to eat?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a WOW but affordable restaurant.....

What types of cuisines tickle your fancy?? What types to avoid??

Toront, ON
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a WOW but affordable restaurant.....

How about this -- go to C5 in the ROM for dinner, it's quite a unique location and not crazy expensive (but not cheap by any means). Then follow up dinner with a drink at the top of the Hyatt in the Roof Lounge. Known for their martinis; steeped in tradition; million dollar view.

Toronto
Level Contributor
426 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a WOW but affordable restaurant.....

I believe that the C5 is no longer open for dinner. I was checking their website recently, and only lunch was mentioned...

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a WOW but affordable restaurant.....

Thanks for the replies again.

It's my 40th so happy to stretch the budget which is why the $33 prix fixe menu at Horizons appeals but with the admission on top ($22) it makes the 360 restaurant overall better value as their prix fixe is $55 (although this is the summer menu still). I expect the standard of food at the 360 is a step up on Horizons but I definitely want a fairly casual less stuffy experience i.e. I don't want to wear a tie!

Cuisine preference is American/Canadian really but no fish (although my Wife does love fish, so as long as there are options for me) which is why the Horizons menu is tempting. Burgers, sandwiches, fish, chicken dishes etc and a view to boot.

To be honest I'm not adverse to paying the admission and going up to Horizons as we will get the night-time views (the day-time view will be part of the CityPass earlier in the week) so that will make a nice contrast. It's just a shame we can't book up, which obviously we would be able to do with 360. We have a very early flight from Toronto to the UK the next day (Saturday 17th) so it looks as though we will be up and about at 5am so literally the meal/views will be my final memory of Toronto and my 40th birthday (well apart from the airport).

Decisions, decisions.....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a WOW but affordable restaurant.....

No tie required at 360....you may not want to wear blue jeans, but tie not required...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,657 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a WOW but affordable restaurant.....

Hi ju123....................although it does not have the view of Toronto that theCN Tower is famous for, the Keg Mansion at 515 Jarvis St., is an excellent restaurant which is located in an historic old home in Toronto........at one time Jarvis Street was where the "Carriage Trade" lived, and so it is big and still somewhat oppulent, even though the former mansion has been converted to a restaurant, which has been serving meals in this location for 40 some odd years......there are locations of The Keg on both York St, and The Esplanade, although their decor has a modern vibe to it.(downtown locations).................The Keg specializes in steaks, and they do them really well, however they do have other offerings on their menu......while I would not catgorize them as inexpensive, they are quite affordable and reasonable for the quality..........birthday celebrations are a common occurance in Keg restaurants, and you will more than likely be compted a dessert, or after dinner drink if you let them know you are celebrating a milestone................you can check out their menus on line if you like, and there are many good reviews on TA.......

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a WOW but affordable restaurant.....

Indeed, C5 is no longer open for dinner (other than large group event bookings).

But I do like the suggestion of the Roof Lounge at the Park Hyatt -- great atmosphere and view -- if you had dinner elsewhere in Yorkville first.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a WOW but affordable restaurant.....

Keg Mansion is a solid suggestion...