We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to walk at night?

Michigan
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to walk at night?

I'll be staying at the Delta Chelsea in Nov. I'm a big walker and think nothing of walking hours while sightseeing rather than using mass transit even in the winter. I'm also a single female traveller. Will it be safe for me to walk from the hotel up Yonge to the Bloor Yorkville shopping area and south to The Bay to see the Xmas lights if I'm out in the 7-9 p.m. timeframe? I can't figure out if the area is as crowded, and therefore as safe, as New York in the evening.

Mentioned in this post
Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
7,055 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to walk at night?

Yes, you are safe, as safe as you would be in NYC. Toronto is a big city; there are almost always lots of people on that strip of Yonge street, no matter what the hour, really. 9 pm is still relatively early and the area is blazingly well lit by the urban street scene. I wouldn't worry. Having said that...always exercise a modicum of caution, as any solo female might, no matter what time of day or night. Just sayin'.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Yonge Street
Yonge Street
856 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
787 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to walk at night?

Toronto is a very safe city, if you stick to the main drags you'll be fine!

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to walk at night?

YES, there be lots of people around till 11pm maybe 1am and 99.9% of folks are not looking to harm anyone. In fact that area you could walk anytime but gee even me at 3am might feel unease.

My opinion of Bloor st was east of University /Avenue st it was very nice-safe, as you went west on Bloor their was more homeless people around but they don' bother anybody..I am a male but still. There was a bit of trouble lately but it was way west of University /Avenue .

Bay st to Younge is super nice, you got $400 a night hotels and fancy stores around and people everywhere.

Your hotel is at a great location, there be people all around anywhere you go...just don't go too east of Younge, I'm talking a few blocks. You still be safe and with other people around but might not feel as safe.

Toronto is unlike New York or other big US cities, crime is way lower, its hard to explain the difference but its big.

Edited: 26 October 2012, 00:33
Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to walk at night?

Yep, Yonge Street and the Yorkville area are both busy in the evenings and quite safe. You could be out well past 9 pm without any reason for unease. Public transit is safe and well-used too, if the weather turns against you.

Mentioned in this post
Yonge Street
Yonge Street
856 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
787 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to walk at night?

Depending on length of stay you may want to invest in a weekly pass from the TTC...of course the frequency in which you may want to use public transit will effect this decision....

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to walk at night?

Very safe.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to walk at night?

Ah, looking at the maps I seen I made a error about University /Avenue st, that area is super nice-both ends, its not till past St George / Spadina maybe even Bathhurst - west of there that gets a bit shady, Not University ..

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to walk at night?

Its always nice to have a TCC pass - daily or weekly .Then you can hop on any bus / streetcar that you seen around..just stand by the TTC signs..you gotta move fast if few people are boarding or they drive right off, lol

The pass is good for the subway as well.

Just $10.50 to ride all day with a Daily pass and you can buy the passes in any subway station-even the day before so you have it on you as you head out in the morning..I don't believe the buses and streetcars sell the passes.

Edited: 26 October 2012, 05:43
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to walk at night?

One downside of the weekly pass for visitors: it has to start on a Monday. If you arrive on Thursday and leave the next Wednesday that's two "weeks".

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to walk at night?

I did not know that Matt. What an idiotic way to run a business. Again, the TTC showing why they are so inept in so many ways. The weekly pass should be a 7-day pass ending 7 days after you've purchase it. That's terrible customer service if you ask me.

Edited: 26 October 2012, 23:23