We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really Stuck, where to stay 11 & 12 Nov

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Really Stuck, where to stay 11 & 12 Nov

This has been the hardest part of out 9+ week trip

I have just got not idea where to stay, I look, come up with nothing and then keep putting it off.

We Leave Australia in 12 days and it is still not planned

There are 4 of us parents and a 14 and 15 year old who are going to share a bed no issues (well as much as siblings can have no issues)

We will have a car as we are driving from Niagara so parking cost come into it

Can someone please help me with some reccomendations of cheap but nice accomadation, under $100 a night would be great (can go more if needed) breakfast and Free wifi would be great but again not the end of the world that is good access or has in and out car parking or even a car park close by if that works out better

I am happy to book off hotwire and we are just having one room with 2 queen beds

Thanks

Haylee

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Really Stuck, where to stay 11 & 12 Nov

You could see if you could get a whole private room at this place:

http://theplanettraveler.com/

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
737 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Really Stuck, where to stay 11 & 12 Nov

Haylee, I would look for a hotel close to the airport. From there it is less than 30K to downtown Toronto, which can be anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour by car. Most of the airport hotels will include breakfast, wifi and parking. You will have trouble finding that in the city.

I'm just back from Sydney. We have friends and relos throughout Sydney and Australia, and I couldn't get over how expensive things have become. We're lucky enough to visit every 2 or 3 years, but on this last trip, prices (especially in Sydney) have seemed to skyrocket. Going out for dinner costs at least twice as much as here. Consumer goods (especially electronics) don't even come close. Petrol is about $1.20 / litre right now...I was filling up at $1.50 in Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really Stuck, where to stay 11 & 12 Nov

They only sleep 3 in a private room there

I can go more or even just hotel names as suggestions and I can start to look on hotwire again

the other option is to just stay at Niagara and day trip it to Toronto

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Really Stuck, where to stay 11 & 12 Nov

For those two nights, a quick Hotwire search shows a lot of choices around the $100 range. Downtown is compact enough that all downtown hotels are pretty conveniently located. "Downtown Toronto West" is generally the safest bet (some hotels in downtown east are great, but others are in a slightly-sketchy area). Parking won't be included, and hotels often charge $25-$40/night for that. Once you know your hotel, we can probably suggest cheaper parking nearby.

Hotwire will get you a better quality of hotel at that price level. There aren't many downtown hotels with advertised $100/night rates that I'd eagerly recommend. though the "Where to Stay" page has a list of "budget" hotels: tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g155019-c58140/Toronto… .

Unless your budget is really tight, don't stay by the airport. Yes, you'll get free parking, but you'd be driving everywhere and still have to pay for daytime parking once you got downtown.

Edited: 09 November 2012, 13:05
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really Stuck, where to stay 11 & 12 Nov

It looks like I can get the Hilton Toronto for $89 a night but i think parking is $40 per night, any cheap public carparks near there?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Really Stuck, where to stay 11 & 12 Nov

Yep, the massive garage under City Hall (…greenp.com/parking-info/carpark-info/36_110…) has a maximum charge of $6/day on Sunday and $20/day on weekdays.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Really Stuck, where to stay 11 & 12 Nov

Well that is good to know, it is two weekdays so would be $20, are they with in and out of per exit?

I have seen that Holiday Inn Downtown is only $107 (before tax) and parking is $25

is this hotel nice and a good location?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Really Stuck, where to stay 11 & 12 Nov

No, only hotel parking offers in-and-out privileges, so your costs would go up if you took the car out during the day. (Follow the link for full rate details.) But unless you're going far afield, e.g. to Niagara or the Ontario Science Centre, it's much easier to leave the car parked and get around downtown on foot and/or by transit.

The Holiday Inn Downtown on Carlton Street is in a very good location, less business-district than the Hilton but close to shopping, the subway, etc. The reviews (tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155019-d188212-…) are your best bet for feedback from people who've stayed there recently.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Really Stuck, where to stay 11 & 12 Nov

Have you looked at the Cambridge Suites?? Great location, parking I think would be in the $25 a day range.....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,299 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Really Stuck, where to stay 11 & 12 Nov

I too think you should check TA reviews of the Holiday Inn location you refer to in post #7.......I think you mean the location on Carlton Street...............Holiday Inn Express has parking for $20.00 per day and free breakfast.............children under 19 are free when sleeping in their parents room, so you can sleep 4 to a room................the rate is higher than the $107.00 you mention, but then again breakfast for 4 -6 plus tax and tip in a resto will bump up the overall price, so something to think about...the location is not quite as central, but it's still good and the feedback is positive.......... have you found any place that will take 6 in a room as you mention in your OP?.........I know the HI Express will take 4....2 adult, 2 kids, and so will some others..........