We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada Road Trip

Louth, England...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Canada Road Trip

I am planning a trip across Canada and back again in late April.

My time span is three weeks.

I plan to drive from Toronto to Detroit and then track up to Seattle and across to Vancouver.

My return trip will be via Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg and Ottawa.

My first question is other than Hertz, what other car rental company's are available from Lester Pearson.

I don't have to rent from the airport but it would make life easier.

Secondly i have calculated that my millage will be between 5500-6000 miles, do i have to declare this when i take the car away or is "unlimited millage" exactly what it says it is.

Thirdly i will be on my own so size of car is unimportant but i would like some level of comfort and possibly some form of ipod adapter in a hire car..........any ideas.

Regards Steve

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canada Road Trip

To be honest, I think that is a bit too much. I've done the(one-way) route Toronto - Vancouver twice (through Canada). The first time I took 5 weeks and drove appr. 4750 miles, the second time I had just over three weeks and took a bit more direct route, but still had appr.4000 miles on the clock.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,174 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Canada Road Trip

I agree that your plan is a bit ambitious. You COULD cover the round-trip distance in 3 weeks but it wouldn't give you enough time to see much of what you were passing. Friends of mine did a similar trip as yours but took a couple of months. I would consider choosing a more focused part of the continent that interests you and road trip that for 3 weeks (you could combine the BC coast and the Rockies, or Ontario and Quebec, or Quebec and the Maratimes, or the Maratimes and Newfoundland, as examples).

As to your questions, the rental terms vary between companies. A lot of the time, unlimted mileage is only offered if you're staying within the province or within a group of adjacent provinces. And it's not a sure thing that you'd be allowed to take the car into the US, you'd need to check that with the rental company too. So if your contract says unlimited then yes, it really is unlimited; but if you find a company that will offer you unlimited mileage even though you're driving in 5 provinces and many US states, let everyone know.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,821 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canada Road Trip

You'll have to let the rental car company know, at the very least, that you plan to go into the US, to be sure that it is permitted in the rental contract and that you have the paperwork for the car.

If you are renting with one of the major rental companies, it shouldn't be a problem that you are taking the car out of country, and out of province (you will want to read the contract to be sure), but if you are renting with one of the "economy" brands, you will want to double check that "unlimited miles" means unlimited miles *anywhere*. People have posted here on these forums about getting surprised with hefty charges for out-of-province mileage, and then reading the rental agreement and finding out that "unlimited milieage" only applied if they kept the car in the province of origin, and taking it out means a per kilometre charge for each and every kilometre.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
79,419 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canada Road Trip

Hi Steve;

Respectfully, you're trying to do way too much in just 3 weeks !

Canada is a huge country. It is;

• approximately 9,984,670 sq. km / 3,855,103 sq mi.

• comprised of six time zones.

• over 8,000 km / 5,500 mi. wide, from Atlantic to Pacific coasts.

• close to 50 degrees latitude from North to South, about 25% of the distance from the North Pole to the South Pole.

• the second largest country in the world after Russia.

• only slightly smaller than all of Europe.

• almost 30% larger than Australia

Due to the size of the country, trips to Canada are usually split into three groups, Maritime Canada, Eastern Canada, and Western Canada.

For Maritime Canada destinations, have a look at following areas;

Nova Scotia

Prince Edward Island

New Brunswick

• Newfoundland

For Eastern Canada destinations, have a look at the following cities;

Niagara Falls

Toronto

Kingston / Gananoque / 1000 Islands

Ottawa

Montreal

Quebec City

For Western Canada destinations, have a look at the following cities;

Calgary

• Banff

• Jasper

• Lake Louise

• Edmonton

• Whistler

Vancouver

Of course, the Rocky Mountains are a category all to themselves. ;-)

All of these locations can be found on TripAdvisor by searching for the area’s name, and of course there are the destination forums as well. Any destination highlighted in blue is automatically hyper-linked to TA's overview page for that area.

With only 3 weeks, I would suggest selecting one area, and covering it well.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Niagara Day Tour
Niagara Day Tour
720 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Kingston
Kingston
Ontario, Canada
Gananoque
Gananoque
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
787 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canada Road Trip

Way too much to see in three weeks unless you only want to see Canada from a car.....I would curtail the driving and maybe just go out west through Canada and fly back home from Vancouver.....

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Louth, England...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Canada Road Trip

Thanks for the responce.

I have calculated 10 days of driving @ 600 miles a day.

Which should give me the time to do and see what i want.

Being on my own i have no strict time table and the places i wish to visit have been looked at in advance.

I was lucky to live in Calgary and as such have seen most of the Rocky's (spent 3 months in Rocky Mountain House).

That part of the trip is just for visiting friends.

Still it is a big ask but one i am looking forward too.

Kind Regards

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Louth, England...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Canada Road Trip

Thanks for the response.

I have lived in Canada before and have been lucky to see some of the sights.

This is just purely for my benefit with a trip to see a couple of friends and some family.

Regards Steve

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Louth, England...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Canada Road Trip

I will look into to this carefully.

I was in Canada in June and drove to New York from Toronto, put 2200 miles on the car and had no come back.

But i am still weary or traveling through the USA border, they seem to make things very complicated at times.

Regards Steve

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
United States
United States
North America
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,282 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canada Road Trip

Steve............I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but there is a forum here on Trip Advisor....specifically for this type of travel.............the Road Trip forum.....you may find it helpful to check in with the regulars there also, or just read through some of the info ................good luck with your plans...

Louth, England...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Canada Road Trip

Many Thanks

Will look.