We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downhill Skiing from Toronto

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Downhill Skiing from Toronto

Have skiied at Blue for past no of years when lived nearby - now moved to TO and wonder whether Ellicottville is a feasible option? Mapquest says drive is 2hrs 15 mins which is comparable to the drive to Blue - can anyone give an opinion? Many thanks....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,275 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downhill Skiing from Toronto

You don't say where you are driving from exactly, but my calculations show Ellicottville, NY as being a good 100 klms and another hours drive further from Toronto than Collingwood/Blue Mountain......and then there is the border crossing to factor in.......in any case, I haven't been to Ellicottville in many years, but I do remember it as being a great place for a ski weekend, and a fairly popular spot with Ontarians...........

Edited: 19 December 2012, 20:30
Mentioned in this post
Collingwood
Collingwood
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
784 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downhill Skiing from Toronto

Ellicottville seems to cater more to families than Blue mountain from the information I get from people, though it definitely is a longer drive than Collingwood...

Mentioned in this post
Collingwood
Collingwood
Ontario, Canada
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Downhill Skiing from Toronto

For opinions about the place itself (as opposed to just the trip there from Toronto), you're best to post in the forum of your destination, rather than your home town.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
535 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downhill Skiing from Toronto

The drive from Toronto (Beaches area) to Ellicottville is usually around 3 hours, but depending on traffic and weather, can be up to 5 hours.

Ellicottville is my home ski hill, and I LOVE it. The hills and conditions are comparable to Blue, but the lineups are typically better than Blue.

I would disagree about the catering to families. There is amazing apres and nightlife in town.

It's a bit far for a day trip, with the hassle of the QEW and the border thown in, but a great weekend getaway.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
171 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downhill Skiing from Toronto

There is Kelso Conservation Area just down the 401(west) in Milton. I believe it is about 45 min from Toronto. The ski park itself is called Glen Eden and it is located within Kelso CA.

Mentioned in this post
Milton
Milton
Ontario, Canada
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downhill Skiing from Toronto

Glen Eden is pretty tiny. Actually, so is Blue Mountain and Holiday Valley for that matter. Ontario has terrible hills. However, if you want to ski right in Toronto you can go to Centennial Hill located near Eglinton and Renforth Dr.

I grew up 1km from there and we affectionately called Centennial Hill "Mount Garbage"....pronounce gar-baw-j. The hill used to be the old city dump years ago. But I wouldn't go there as I believe the vertical is about 45 feet....lol. It's nothing more than an ant hill but fun for kids under 10.

Edited: 21 December 2012, 03:30
Mentioned in this post
Ontario
Ontario
Canada
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,275 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downhill Skiing from Toronto

True, Glen Eden is on the small side, but it's oh so close, and still a good time...........especially if you can't commit to an entire weekend, or even a day.....go on a Friday night after work...... night skiing is fun .......

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downhill Skiing from Toronto

Problem with the small hills nearest to Toronto are the you get a lot of children without parents. Non-skiing parents will drop them off unsupervised.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind children but really notice a lack of skiing etiquette when parents have not skiied with the children/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downhill Skiing from Toronto

I've only skied at Ellicottville once, but the one time I was there, it was less crowded on a weekend than any of my many weekend trips to Blue. Blue has ridiculous lift line-ups when the snow conditions or weather conditions are good.

I like the apres at Ellicottville better than the apres at Blue.

Edited: 23 December 2012, 16:41