We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter clothing

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
winter clothing

Hi

I'm from West Australia and I'm going to be in Toronto in March next year. What do locals wear to stay warm?

I don't feel the cold much - in winter here I usually still wear shorts but it's usually no lower than 15*C during the day, not minus 15!

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: winter clothing

It won't likely be minus 15 in March, but it's very unlikely to be warm enough for shorts, either. In March, most people in Toronto will still be wearing pants, sweaters and winter coats. They may or may not still be wearing winter boots, depending on how wet things still are. The later in March you are here, the warmer it is likely to be. Early March can still be quite wintery (late winter storms are not uncommon) while late March is often (although not always) starting to be more "spring-like."

Edited: 26 December 2012, 16:52
Canada
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winter clothing

March can be very unpredictable. Locals may still be wearing their fashion boots but a good pair of runners with socks will do instead (unless there is a sudden large dump of snow).

Pack a hat and gloves/mittens. Sometimes late in the season these are hard to find.

This past March the average high was 12 and the average low 1 celcius.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: winter clothing

While you will definitely need more than you wear at home, depending on when in March you're scheduled, and what your planned activities are, things may vary considerably. If you're going to stay in the downtown core, and visit museums and galleries, or go shopping at the Eaton Centre...you may not need much more than a few solid layers of clothing and a decent outdoor jacket. If you're planning on some outdoor hiking (public skating rinks are closed by that time), then obviously, you'll want to dress warmer.

Suggest you monitor the weather closer to the travel time, see local weather here: www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CAON0696

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: winter clothing

On March 22nd of last year it was +22C. One week later it was -11C. Take that for what it's worth. March is a real crap shoot.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: winter clothing

Thanks for all your info everyone!

Will I need thermals?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,221 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: winter clothing

Those of us here used to winter weather would not need thermals in March, expecially in the city.

Whether you think you will depends on your ability to withstand temperatures like those noted above.

Best to dress in layers. It will be a damp cold.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: winter clothing

Ah ok cool. I've never been in such cold temperatures so we'll see haha. Does dressing in layers get annoying? Everyone says you have you keep taking them on and off as you go in and out. Or do you decide what you're doing for the day and make a compromise - if you're going to be inside more then dress a bit lighter and just accept that you'll be a bit cold outside?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: winter clothing

Hi Violin. Dressing in layers isn't overly annoying. If you have a high quality outer shell (must be wind and waterproof) by a company like Columbia or North Face you'll be ok. Start with a t-shirt, then a light long-sleeved t-shirt over top and a sweater. Then your shell/jacket overtop. All you will need to do if you are overly warm is to take off your sweater or remove your jacket.

Don't think you will be putting on 8 layers of clothes...lol. Just 2-3 items depending on temperature. You might even be wearing a t-shirt if it gets warm enough. Are you coming early or late in the month? The later the better for a chance of a warm spell. Early March can still be quite cold.

Although in my earlier post I pointed out 2 extremes of warm and cold temperatures, most often March will have temperatures ranging from 3C to 10C on most days. Sometimes it might get into the high teens and then other times it might get into the minuses....but if it does do either of them it won't stay that way for too long....maybe a day or two. Then it falls back into that 3C to10C range more often than not.

I doubt it will be extremely cold but you need to come prepared to dress warm and you'll be fine. A good hat and gloves are important too...but then again, if it's in the +6 to 7C range you won't need them. March is when things start to warm up and even a few bulbs like tulips/daffodils/crocuses start to pop their heads out of the ground. Don't be too scared of freezing to death ok? lol. You'll be fine!

Edited: 27 December 2012, 02:53
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: winter clothing

Great, thanks for all that Krusty! I'm coming in early March but I hope that I'll see snow since it'll be cold :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: winter clothing

I cannot abide layers of clothes, and in the city, you'll find me in boots, pants, a long sleeve cotton top and a winter coat, scarf and hat most winter days. Outside the city, outdoors, skiing etc I will wear snow trousers, and on all but the very coldest days (-20 or so) they will be next to skin, no leggings or thermals.

If you plan to be downtown, a decent coat, a pair of boots (I wear ankle wellies / gum boots mostly) and a hat and gloves will be fine. Don't wear tons of layers if you are going to be shopping, in museums etc as you will boil.