We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to Toronto on 1 year working holiday.

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
moving to Toronto on 1 year working holiday.

Hi There,

My boyfriend and I are moving to Toronto from New Zealand in early August this year for a one year working holiday visa. We both work in media currently, and ideally would love to get experience in that field in Toronto. We've found Rogers and Bell Media - but are there other job search websites/media outlets we should look at?

Also, we're moving without having ever been to Toronto before with no idea on central (but not expensive) areas we should be looking at apartments for - are there any good rental websites we should keep an eye on?

We don't intend to buy a car while we are there, is the public transport system something commuters use often to get to/from work? Unfortunately we will possibly have to decide on a place to stay before we get job offers, so any areas that have better public transport options than others would be great to know. Trying to do research online myself, but without having been to Toronto before it's difficult.

And finally, does anyone know of any good short term rentals or hostels that we might look at staying in upon arrival while we get set up? I did wonder about applying to accommodation at the university dorms as they seem to rent out rooms over summer, just been reading mixed opinions on if you need to be a student or not.

Any info or links you could provide would be much appreciated! It's a little daunting to be moving to a brand new city with just a suitcase, but what an experience it will be!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to Toronto on 1 year working holiday.

Hello. I haven't looked for a new job in many years however I do know of a couple of websites dedicated to this. The first link is Monster. The second is Workopolis. Maybe other folks know of some more. This should get you started though. A Google search for Toronto job/media websites might work too.

jobsearch.monster.ca/…

http://www.workopolis.com/EN/Common/HomePage.aspx?s_kwcid=TC|7918|monster.ca||S|e|17758647669&gclid=CMbG2ZebhbUCFcc7MgodlUgAHg

For the location of your new place, there are many areas in Toronto that suit your needs. The closer to downtown the better. I do not want to overwhelm you so I'll give you 3 neighbourhoods that I think you'd like....they are Leslieville, Roncesvalles Village and The Annex. There are many more and others will chime in to help you out with that for sure. Everyone has their own opinion but I do like these three areas very much.

A vast amount of people use public transit in Toronto. There 3 modes you'd be using are, subway, streetcar (or maybe you call them a tram or trolley) and buses. It's a simple public transit system and very easy to use. You can buy a monthly pass and you're all set.

Sorry, but I'm not sure about the short term accomodations. Again, others will help you out. Congratulations on your big move. You'll love Toronto....it's a great city. Think of New York City but on a smaller scale. It's a world class city with lots to see and do to keep you busy for a year.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,137 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to Toronto on 1 year working holiday.

Hi sarahmudgway;

TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation as it is not considered to be travel-related. TA staff may remove your post, above.

tripadvisor.ca/help/what_are_the_guidelines_…

You might be interested in the website “British Expats” (not just for Brits) which is more geared to people who are emigrating / have immigrated to Canada.

www.britishexpats.com

Best Regards

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to Toronto on 1 year working holiday.

Thanks for the info! For me this is hugely travel related being it's a working holiday - just working to fund travelling around Canada but I will be wary of this :)

Will look at those links, thank you so much!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,584 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to Toronto on 1 year working holiday.

Hi sarah............................for hostels you could try: Hosteling International Toronto on Church St., and Planet Traveler on College/Augusta near Kensington Market.......both good locations (Church St. closer to downtown), both get good reviews that you can read on TA..........

For rentals by owners you could try Vrbo, or Airbnb......

http://vrbo.com

http://airbnb.com

Toronto
Level Contributor
390 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: moving to Toronto on 1 year working holiday.

The rental housing market in Toronto is very competitive (about 1% vacancy rate). You may want to start your search before you arrive. Otherwise if you wait until you arrive it could take weeks for you to find a place to live.

If you consider places in the downtown core and close to the subway you should be OK.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: moving to Toronto on 1 year working holiday.

The big thing in Toronto is to be near a subway, streetcar or bus. Unless you work somewhere that has free parking, most people choose to take some mode of public transportation to their workplace, cost of parking and traffic make it necessary. I'd find out where you are working first then proceed with finding the areas of city closest to your workplace.

K D
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: moving to Toronto on 1 year working holiday.

Hi,

I advise looking for a place from where you can get to a subway station easily because this will be very convenient to you even though this is not absolutely necessary as many commuters take streetcars and buses. This basically means finding a place near Yonge street or near Bloor street/Danforth avenue. I would recommend looking in the annex or Bloor West Village as both these areas offer reasonable rents with access to good public transportation.

Toronto
Level Contributor
130 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: moving to Toronto on 1 year working holiday.

Hi Sarah, I used to work in media and this website is very popular for job searches:

http://playbackonline.ca/careers/

I hope this helps.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: moving to Toronto on 1 year working holiday.

If you are working to find travel, renting an apartment might not work well - lots have minimum lease periods. A long stay hotel / motel may work out better? Also, be aware that Canadian jobs may not come with as much vacation as you might like - especially temporary / contract who often get none (they get a 4% payment at the end of the contract in lieu of any vacation time). And they will know you are temporary by virtue of your work visa.

10. Re: moving to Toronto on 1 year working holiday.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 07:15