We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to New York.

LONDON
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to New York.

Hi, we will be in Toronto in august and was wondering if anyone could tell me how easy it really is to get to new york.I would prefer not to fly if possible.We may want to spend a couple of nights,would this be a problem as we are already tourists to toronto from england?All replies appreciated.

Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to New York.

You could take the Greyhound from TO to NY. It would take about ~10 hours by bus that way. I don't know about the visa requirements, sorry.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to New York.

Dear traveller:

I appreciate that you probably don't want to fly, but it really is the best option. There are very good connections from Toronto to New York - and the flight time is less than 1.5 hours. I think JETSGO and WESTjet both offer direct (and often well discounted) flights. Don't have their websites handy but just do a search using yahoo and you find yourself at the website, where you can easily price the cost of flights. If you decide to drive, you are looking at a border crossing and then 7 plus hours of driving.

Enjoy yourself. New York and Toronto are both fabulous cities, and I have had the pleasure of visiting both on many occasions.

uk
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to New York.

iam going to toronto in march and wanted to know the excact same thing thanks i was going to go by train but its 12 hour time is a issue and i do think flying is the quickest but if you have time the train looks greatwww.amtrak.comor via rail canadaemail me if you wantvbttry@aol.com

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to New York.

Check out www.jetsgo.com or www.via.ca

I took Greyhound bus overnight before, from Toronto to New York...from 8pm, arrived there 7am...

The good thing...the bus terminal is right in downtown Manhattan.

The bad thing...

-it's not cheap, it's cheaper to fly

-it's NOT comfortable at all, the seat on the bus was small

-you can NOT possibly sleep, because the bus stopped every 2 hours to each destination

So, I think it's better to fly, cheaper, and it's only a few hours flight?

And just wondering though...why do you want to see Toronto and New York at the same time?

I personally think, it's better to live it to your next trip.

In the meantime while you are in Toronto, and if you have time, why not heading to Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City instead?

I just think that it'd be easier that way since you are already in Canada, rather then getting visa crossing the boarder etc.

Why not leave New York for next time, and you can see Chicago, Boston etc down south?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to New York.

I also must add that flying is by far the best option. It's a quick flight. This is not Europe, and you will find the train a gruelling option unfortunately. Stops everywhere, and there's a slow wait at the border (whereas if you fly you'll pass through US immigration control at the Toronto airport before leaving, meaning you won't have to wait once you arrive in the US).

The bus isn't that much cheaper than flying, either, considering how much longer it takes.

Air Canada (www.aircanada.ca) regularly has deals to NYC (okay, not as cheap as Easyjet or Ryanair) and has frequent service.

Toronto
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to New York.

Unfortunately, the best/cheapest flying option -Jetsgo, just went under! I'd hate to say don't go (NYC is my favourite place in the world!!)..But flying will cost you at least $300, or as stated in the above posts, bus/train will cost you 12 hours....

Toronto
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to New York.

One possiblity you might want to consider is flying to New York City from Buffalo, NY. The flights are considerably cheaper (about $130CAD round-trip). It's about a 3 hour drive from Toronto to Buffalo. You could take the route through Niagara Falls and see the sights there as well.

Level Contributor
384 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to New York.

Via Rail has a train that goes to New York but it leaves like 9 in the morning. JetsGo went out of business and i wouldn't trust WestJet.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to New York.

I fly with West Jet all the time & I've had no problems with them :) I don't see them going out of business anytime soon.. JetsGo went out of business cause they had return flights for a penny and by the end they were making emergency landings every couple of days because of lack of fuel.. you know something is up when they can't even afford to put gas in their planes!! lol

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to New York.

You may want to check out some American airlines also. There are alot of US airlines that fly the Toronto-New York route too. United, American and Continental Airlines all fly that route.