We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown west hotels?

Brunswick, Georgia
1 post
Save Topic
Downtown west hotels?

Hello all,

I'm traveling to Toronto this summer for a music festival at Fort York and Garrison Common. I've never been to this city so I don't know that much about its neighborhoods.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in reasonable distance and close to public transport for a decent price? I plan to stay about a week and do other things in the city, so I'd like to be able to get around and put money toward other activities and dining. I'm really trying to keep my costs as low as possible. I'm fine with a safe, no-frills hotel.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown west hotels?

Hi, Nikki W, welcome to the Toronto Forum and to Trip Advisor.

Fort York is right down at the base of the city, near the edge of Lake Ontario. Virtually any hotel in the area bounded by Bloor Street on the north, Lakeshore on the south, Jarvis on the east and Bathurst on the west (open google maps while you do this) will serve you fine. That's all in the southern side of our downtown city core area, easily serviced by TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) and within about 15 minutes of getting to Fort York, if you're not going during rush hour.

I don't know what your version of low cost is, so I will merely advise that hotels in June in Toronto are in the high season costs, and you aren't likely to get "cheap" accommodation, unless you go the bed & brekkie route, or use Priceline to bid on a room. There is one lower cost place near there, the Radisson Admiral Harbourfront, gets decent reviews, and is right down in the thick of the Harbourfront area.

The downtown area I described above is filled with dozens of hotels, in all the major chains, many of them with multiple price points (i.e. Holiday Inn versus HI Express, vs Intercontinental brands, all part of the same chain, but their different priced brands). If you have one you're loyal to, or can access by points, check it out against the map I described. Consider also using Airbnb or more pertinent here in Ontario is B&B Canada, here www.bbcanada.com/ontario/greater_toronto_area

If you see something in a B&B that appeals, come back to us and tell us where, and we can let you know whether that's close or in an area you might not want to be in, etc.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,177 posts
780 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown west hotels?

A couple of hostels you may want to consider as well:

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown west hotels?

You can also check out Index G B&B. Great location close to bars in the west end.

4. Re: Downtown west hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 05:17