We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most on-time transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls?

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Most on-time transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls?

Hubby and I will be visiting Toronto in June for 3 days and traveling to Niagara-on-the Lake for 3 days. We are not interested in renting a car since we will not need one in NOTL. On the day we leave Toronto, we need to be in NOTL for a play at 2 pm. I see that Greyhound, Coach Canada, and VIA Rail all have transportation arriving in Niagara Falls between 10 and 11 am. I know that we will need to take a taxi to NOTL from NF. I am would like to know if one of these companies has the best on-time record? Last year we did the trip in the other direction and waited in Niagara Falls for a train that was hours late, although that was from problems crossing the border, which won't be an issue this trip.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,321 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most on-time transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls?

Liked it so much last year you're coming back again ... that's great!

Have you looked at the Shaw festival's website with info concerning transportation? There are shuttles available from St. Catherine's bus terminal to NOTL, and back again. Also info on various other means of transit, including GO Transit and shuttles to and from GO station.

Have a look ( the various methods are outlined under the blue tabs on this directions page).

shawfest.com/plan-your-visit/…

As you note, transportation from Toronto to Niagara is likely on time, since no border crossing involved. If you are travelling mid-week, then traffic will not be a problem either.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,160 posts
774 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most on-time transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls?

Go transit is usually pretty good for being on time and is more comfortable than greyhound, IMO...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,159 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most on-time transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls?

I would have to say that the least likely method of transportation to be late would be via rail......no rush hour traffic to be concerned with............and in this particular case, no border crossing issues either..........just IMO though.........

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most on-time transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls?

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I did look at the Shaw Festival website and there is some helpful information in there. I am a planner and like to make reservations; GO Transit does not allow for this. But when we took the Greyhound bus last year, it was not especially comfortable (or clean). Still deciding, but the Amtrak train was nice last time, when it finally arrived. I guess VIA Rail is about the same.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,321 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most on-time transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls?

Either VIA or GO Transit is the most dependable. I could be wrong but I believe the morning VIA train is actually the Amtrak train that continues on to the USA. The train therefore is an Amtrak (American) train - not a VIA (Canadian) train. My experience of Amtrak trains is that they are not as comfortable/well kept as VIA trains ... however, this is a short trip so I'm sure it will be fine ... and certainly more comfortable than the Greyhound. Since you are travelling in June you won't have to deal with adverse weather, which is the main reason delays can occur.

GO Transit is the commuter/public transit service so reservations are never needed.

Edited: 23 March 2013, 17:52
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most on-time transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls?

I have used the bus service and VIA quite frequently when travelling to Niagara Falls. Always been on time and never a problem. I would recommend the train - no traffic drama.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most on-time transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls?

Thanks. I know I can always count on the friendly Canadians for help! I love visiting your country! I think the train may be the best option and the station in Toronto is very close to our hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,159 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most on-time transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls?

Thanks for the nice comments about Canadians.............I've certainly enjoyed visiting Orlando, wish I was there right now!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most on-time transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls?

Thanks, Eden7. You exemplify what I'm saying about Canadians. And you would enjoy Orlando now, the weather is beautiful! Hope you get back here soon.

10. Re: Most on-time transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 06:16