We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is the drive from Toronto to NYC?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
How long is the drive from Toronto to NYC?

G'ady

Visiting friends in Toronto in July (from Australia) and wanted to go to NYC for a a fewdays and catch some musicals etc. My hubby was thinking of us driving, and insists that it's only 7 hours long.??? Does anyone know how long it would take to drive from Toronto to NYC? Or has anyone done the drive and can give us any information on it? (stop overs, motels, sights etc)

I'm trying to convince him to take a plane..but he insists driving would be cheaper.

Would love to hear from you all..

Cheers Z

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is the drive from Toronto to NYC?

I'd say it's about 10 hours long, not including potential border back ups. Best (and most economical way) to fly to NYC from T.O. is via Buffalo, NY. It's about a 2 hour bus ride and you'll save about 2-300 dollars each on airfare.

Sydney Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is the drive from Toronto to NYC?

Thanks urbanfoodie.

What airlines should I look up for, or should I wait till we get there and just book closer to the dates? (July)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is the drive from Toronto to NYC?

I've done the drive in about 8-9 hrs and it's not bad at all and would certainly save you air fare, worrying about schedules and flights. If you wanted to take 2 days you could stop in the Finger Lakes in New York State but I would just get to NYC and enjoy.

We used mapquest.com for directions and approx distances and had no problem with the drive. Our first visit we flew out of Buffalo and I actually found the drive easier overall.

It does mean 2 travel days but with the money you save you can have more fun in New York!

This is the hotel we stayed at:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93569-R…

Great location, good price and good value on the breakfast too.

Hope that helps.

bro
toronto
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is the drive from Toronto to NYC?

Driving is a very, very bad idea. Your best bet is to drive to the Buffalo airport and fly Jet Blue to NYC. The drive without traffic, and border delays is about 1:45. and the flight-less than an hour and you can park overnight at the airport. On the drive back you can stop in Niagara to check out the falls and some wineries. Check www.jetblue.com for fares and flight times. You don't want to have to drive and park in Manhattan!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is the drive from Toronto to NYC?

Surprisingly coming into New York, over the bridge and into Manhattan was fairly straightforward, but that would depend on where your hotel was. That's why I included the link for the Belvedere.

Otherwise the idea of flying out of Buffalo and taking advantage of going back through Niagara (and Niagara on the Lake) is great.

East Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long is the drive from Toronto to NYC?

Dear Tobie,

What are some good restaurants near the Belvedere? My kids (18 and 12) and I are staying there later this month.

Janet in Michigan

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long is the drive from Toronto to NYC?

Hi Janet,

Great choice....we really enjoyed our stay there. One thing we did take advantage of was the breakfast but we were on a breakfast deal. Not sure if you are. It had something for everyone...all fresh and very nicely prepared.

Because the hotel is so close to theatres, there are several restaurants just a few blocks away. Joe Allen's has everything from burgers to pasta to seafood and is very good without breaking the bank. It was just a couple blocks from the Belvedere.

Virgil's BBQ was a big hit with our kids (and us) but we were out and about at the time.... I think it was walking distance too but check mapquest.com for distances if you aren't sure. And for a special dinner we did go to Tavern on the Green just because of the movies filmed in the area. Was fairly good food, but they liked the uniqueness of it as well....Ghostbusters was a favourite memory. :)

Otherwise I had a mini list for when we were around town so I had some idea of where we could stop since our son was 15 and needed to eat constantly!

Even if you had to take a quick cab somewhere that you knew was great for kids, it would be worth it in my mind.

There are lots of restaurants for families recommended on the NYC forum so have a look there too.

Have a great time!!

Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long is the drive from Toronto to NYC?

G'day gemini7

I have a friend coming from Australia in October....going to NYC first and then coming to Toronto area to visit. She asked about distance as well. I did a search on www.mapquest.ca and the route it gave said it would take approx 8.5hrs. I'd probably add on a bit of time for border crossing.

Personally, I don't know if I would do the drive....NYC seems busy and hectic and not knowing where I was going would be nervewracking. I'd probably fly! But the cost of flying can be dear!

Cheers - wife of an aussie!!

Sydney Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How long is the drive from Toronto to NYC?

Thanks Wife of an Aussie..lol

Love the name! I'm a wife of a Canuck!.. what have we set ourselves up for eh? ..lool

Thanks for your comments and information...we still haven't decided what we are going to do.. we have a 3 month long service vacation, so time isn't an issue with driving to NYC, either is flying with a budget.. so we'll see.. but thank you for your help eh!

Wife of a Torontonian !

East Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long is the drive from Toronto to NYC?

Dear Tobie,

Thanks for the recommendations. We are going because I am auditioning for the Who wants to be a Millionaire show. (!) I figure we will make a nice vacation out of it, also.

Janet