We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westjet carry on changes

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Westjet carry on changes

Note that the size of the ONE bag is smaller than previous allowance; this will be a challenge for those of us who take only carry on, and will obviously increase the amount of checked luggage.

westjet.com/guest/…carry-on.shtml

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,295 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westjet carry on changes

Good to know...thanks for the alert...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,322 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westjet carry on changes

I hope other airlines follow suit. The amount of luggage that is carried on often means no overhead bins are available for the passengers boarding last. And it means extra time to get their luggage gate checked.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westjet carry on changes

We have used carry on allowance responsibly, bags and weight always within restrictions. Our soft sided bags can be squished, weigh little when empty, and we have appreciated the convenience of no longer waiting for bags, also not having them misplaced, or on one occasion when we did check a bag last year, having it disappear. I also appreciate the concern that some customers haul on more than they can easily manage, and that their bags take up a lot of room.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westjet carry on changes

Bit of a vicious circle. Airlines charging for and then losing luggage, makes passengers favour travelling by carry-on. So those who really are just hauling carry on for a short trip are getting slaughtered in the race to pack those bins by those who are trying to beat the system.

Me...I start out with a deficit cuz I'm short enough to stand up underneath all those bins, so that means I can never reach them regardless of the size of my bag, so I don't even bother trying to travel by carry on LOL.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westjet carry on changes

A phone conversation with a WJ rep informed me that there is NO weight restriction on the one carry on bag, that the client must be able to lift it into the bin unassisted. I commented on the frustration of the slight decrease in measurements of accepted bags as we have our favorites which would still be acceptable until April 4, but I only wanted her to note that observation.

Anyway, we'll manage just fine, but wanted others to be aware of the changes; could be a nasty start to a trip, being the one holding up the line at check in!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,295 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westjet carry on changes

Yes, I agree with the possible "surprise" at check in....since I flew WestJet only a few months ago, I doubt that I would have even checked their website for this type of change.............so thanks again for the heads-up........

Edited: 28 March 2013, 13:34
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Westjet carry on changes

Do strollers count as carry on or is it a free carry on allowance?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,322 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westjet carry on changes

Harvey, usually airline websites contain that info under one of their menu bar tab.

Here is the Westjet psge:

www.westjet.com/guest/en/travel/index.shtml

9. Re: Westjet carry on changes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 05:16