We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of advice wanted!

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Lots of advice wanted!

We'll be flying into Toronto in a couple of weeks for the final leg of our tour of Canada. I've pretty much decided on the Alexandra Apartments Hotel as a budget choice so we can afford to spend more on things like CN Tower and nice food. I've been reading lots of helpful advice on these forums but have some specific questions.

The Airport Express looks the best bet to get from the airport to Alexander, which is on 77 Ryerson Ave 101. Which would be the best stop to get off at downtown? The closest stop is Holiday Inn on King but I don't mind getting off earlier and jumping in a cab/subway if it's easy/safe. Don't mind a couple of blocks of luggage pulling.

That evening, we intend to go to see The Blue Jays at the Dome. I've never been to a baseball game and want to do the beer and hot dogs thing. Would we be better off paying on the day and going high up in the gods or pre-booking some of the more expensive seats? I presume you can pay on the door for the cheap seats? We’ll have binoculars.

The next morning we want to watch the England soccer game, starting at 11AM Ontario time I think. Any advice on where us Brits could watch this? (one of us is a Scotsman & may not be supporting England!) I expect we will have checked out of the hotel by then so watching it in the room is not an option. Doesn't have to be a bar but those are the most likely candidates to show it.

After that, it's freeform, taking in Niagara Falls and a few hikes in the area. We're bringing tents etc. Are there any campsites near the Falls? We'll rent a car just before this to give us more flexibility.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of advice wanted!

I'll try a couple:

- Airport Express: None of the stops are ideal, but they're not terrible either. From the Holiday Inn stop, it would be a 15-20 minute walk or a $5 cab ride (plus tip). Depending on how many people are in your group, public transit could actually be more expensive than a short cab ride, and in this case I don't see a direct route.

- Blue Jays: It works both ways -- you can buy cheap seats in advance online, and (depending on who's playing) you can probably get better seats at the box office on game day. It's pretty much a question of how much you want to spend. Wherever you sit, they'll be happy to sell you beer and hot dogs.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of advice wanted!

Just to add to that, the hot dogs/sausages on a bun are better and cheaper outside the dome (from the street vendors) so you may want to try them first. The entire world cup will be aired here in Canada, so any bar should have the game available, as for which bar supports which team, it's tough to say. I'll be supporting T & T so I don't know which bar to go to either!

Good luck!

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lots of advice wanted!

Be sure and look at the Bluejays schedule (website) for what nights/days they are playing at Home. Depending on their opponent, ticket sales likely vary. Thats pretty typical for any venue. Everyone has their favorite places to sit, but usually some seat with full view of the field and somewhere you can see the scoreboard. Personally I like sitting between home and 3rd, or Home and 1st base. Upper deck seating usually gives great views, but of course your farther from the field. Tickets are generally more expensive for being close to Home plate. Some people like to sit in the outfield areas so they have a chance for catching a ball. It's all good really, but as close to the pitcher or home plate so you can the action is my favorite. Look at the website seating areas, and prices, and then maybe reserve your tickets and pick them up when you get there. If you don't care at all where you sit, then buy your tickets last minute. There are definately exceptions to everything I have said, but thats generally how I see it.

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lots of advice wanted!

Thanks for all the tips. I think we'll go for the cheap seats but I can't decide where.

Any advice on the campsites near Niagara Falls?

It doesn't have to be close to the Falls themselves since we'll probably just spend one day there doing the toursist thing. The rest of the weekend (Thu PM to Sun AM) will be hiking around different trails.

The Shalamar Lake resort looks the cheapest but, being right by the river, will it be bad for mosquitoes? It would be nice to have a laundromat on site but not essential.

Ont
Level Contributor
477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lots of advice wanted!

I know people have stayed at the KOA, www.koakampgrounds.com/where/on/55201/, can't get much closer to the action while camping, it's in town and close to Tim Hortons. lol Only thing is that I believe they don't offer too much privacy between campsites.

Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lots of advice wanted!

Re: the football, almost all pubs will be showing the game (its on regular cable here) but for atmosphere you might want to try Scallywags on St. Clair or for authenticity the Duke of Gloucester on Yonge

Yellow Springs, OH
Level Contributor
50 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lots of advice wanted!

nash0819, Re: Blue Jays seats, you will most likely be able to get seats much closer to the field if you purchase from a scalper. Ticket scalping is legal in Toronto. Here is my recent experience: my wife and I arrived in Toronto May 26th and decided to go to the Jays game that night (Fri.). We asked the hotel to book tickets for us, so their attendant looked it up and showed me the availability. The best seats available for a reasonable price were $39, about 20-30 rows up. There would have been a $10 service fee to book them on line. But since it was the night of the game, we were required to go to the ticket office in person. On the way there, we got an offer from a scalper for $50 each. They were very good tickets, 4th row right near 1st base. The tickets said $39 on them, though the scalper claimed they were worth more. I hesitated since I wasn't sure if he was being honest, and he dropped his price to $45 each. We took them and the seats were excellent. I don't know if there would have been a $10 service fee from the box office but we would not have been able to sit nearly as close. I think there is a good chance that you could get a much better deal from the scalpers if it was closer to game time (we got ours about 2 hours ahead of time).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lots of advice wanted!

Actually, ticket scalping is not legal here. Across Ontario, selling or buying tickets above face value violates the Ticket Speculation Act; in Toronto, selling tickets at any price is prohibited on streets and sidewalks by chapter 743 of the Municipal Code.

Walking around the dome before a game, though, you'd swear it's legal. There are plenty of scalpers openly hawking tickets. It seems enforcement is pretty rare.

Unfortunately, it's true that scalpers often have seats closer to the field than the box office -- those lower row seats are largely held by season ticket holders who may sell off some of their games. And, oddly enough, in most sections the price is the same in row 1 and row 30, even though the row 1 seats are clearly better.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lots of advice wanted!

Hello all,

I am a TA employee, and through the nominations submitted, this thread was brought to my attention. First, many compliments on the excellent material submitted here.

Second, I just wanted to let everyone know that I took my first shot at preserving this information in a format that will allow you to link to it without always having to "bump" it to the top. This is with our new TripAdvisor Inside feature, where anyone can edit and update information.

The page is here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-c3545/Toronto…

To see (and edit/create) more Toronto pages, go here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-s1/Toronto:On…

Again, this first pass was meant to be exactly that ... a first pass. From here, it's up to you to update and maintain the information, and add things I missed from the thread!!! :-)

Have a great day!

10. Re: Lots of advice wanted!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 01:18