We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel about an hour north of Toronto on the way to McKellar

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
494 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel about an hour north of Toronto on the way to McKellar

Hi. I need to pick my son up from sleepaway camp this summer. I will be driving from Buffalo. The camp is outside of McKellar. I need a hotel about an hour from Toronto. Visiting day starts at 10 AM at the camp. I land in Buffalo, NY around 3PM the day before. I will be using the hotel only to sleep. I would like a clean and comfortable option close to the highway. Marriott and Hilton properties work best for me due to my rewards membership but it's not an absolute necessity. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,712 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel about an hour north of Toronto on the way to McKellar

Barrie would fit the bill. Here's the TA hotel page:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g154980-Barrie_Ontari…

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
494 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel about an hour north of Toronto on the way to McKellar

Thank you. As I am looking around this board I'm amazed at how beautiful the area north of Toronto looks. I wish I had more time to explore. I've been to Toronto many times and I think it's a great city.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,712 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel about an hour north of Toronto on the way to McKellar

The country up by McKellar is quite beautiful - the edge of the Canadian Shield ... you'll enjoy it there. If you get a chance, deek into Parry Sound on the way up or back, or take some time to explore the Muskokas area ... true cottage country for us.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel about an hour north of Toronto on the way to McKellar

Yes, Barrie is your best bet for a hotel about 1 hour north of Toronto.

From there you will have about 90 minutes to McKellar located on Lake Manitouwabing....by the way I spent 30 years on that lake and still go up about 3 times a year. It's one of the nicest lakes in the area.

In Parry Sound there is the 30,000 Islands tour on the boat called the "Island Queen". It's 3 hours long and if you do it you'll see some beautiful scenery.

Website for "Island Queen" below....

http://www.islandqueencruise.com/

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,257 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel about an hour north of Toronto on the way to McKellar

As everyone has said, the City of Barrie is an hour north of Toronto and is your best bet for hotel choice out that way.......although there is no Hilton or Marriott, they do have a Hampton Inn by Hilton, which I believe would work with your Honours Card.........the Holiday Inn Express is a good choice for an inexpensive overnight stay, with breakfast included....it's located on Bryne Drive, very close to the highway.....exit at Mapleview Drive, turn left and roughly 2 blocks, on your left turn onto Bryne Dr.....the hotel is on your right...

The Super 8 Hotel, another good choice is also on Bryne Dr, but that's a right turn off of Mapleview instead of left for the HI Express....

Edited: 16 April 2013, 22:50
Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel about an hour north of Toronto on the way to McKellar

Ha, I'm pretty sure I know which camp that is, I think I went there! Another city, a little more off the highway, is Orillia. You're headed into a gorgeous area of the province, one of my favourites, actually. If you can give yourself a wee bit more time, both Orillia and the area around Lake Manitouwabing are fabulous. Parry Sound is not a hot spot, but if you're headed to the camp I think you are, it's the closest city to the camp. But that takes about 3 hours from Toronto. Orillia is on Lake Couchiching, very beautiful. As to Hilton/Marriott...yeah, Barrie.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,712 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel about an hour north of Toronto on the way to McKellar

Orillia is a pretty town. Only problem here is that it is not on the direct way to McKellar. Just north of Barrie, Hwy 400 & 11 separate - you will be following Hwy 400 to Hwy 69 which takes you to McKellar. Orillia is further north on Hwy 11. Assuming you want to get to the camp quickly, that's the best route to take. On the way back however you could cut through the Muskokas on either Hwy 169 or 118 over to Hwy 11, and south.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
494 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel about an hour north of Toronto on the way to McKellar

Thanks everyone!!! Maybe next year I'll have more time. Barre it is.

9. Re: Hotel about an hour north of Toronto on the way to McKellar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 05:18