We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TRavel question, customs, MSP > YYZ > YHZ

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
TRavel question, customs, MSP > YYZ > YHZ

I'll be flying MSP > YYZ > YHZ. I understand I'll need to go through customs and immigration at YYZ. Here's my question: What makes more sense (for speed of getting through customs), 1) Checking my luggage (do I need to pick it up at YYZ and re-check it?) or 2) just bringing it all in a carry-on and checking nothing?

What will my process look like once @ YYZ?

Thanks!

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TRavel question, customs, MSP > YYZ > YHZ

Hi MSP!

One way or the other, you'll go through Canada customs in Toronto. Whether you've checked your bags, or carried all your worldly possessions on board the cabin with you, you'll go through customs with them.

All the passengers, whether with or without checked baggage first go through Passport Control together. Those with no checked baggage then can go through customs right away. Those with checked bags wait for their luggage to come off the aircraft, then go through customs, and then to the transfer desk and place the checked bags on the transfer belt to go to the onward aircraft.

If you don't leave the terminal, that is, if you stay in the secure area, you'll just wait in the secure area until your onward flight. If you must change terminals, then you'll have to be re-screened at Security in the onward terminal. Any checked baggage will already have been left behind at the transfer desk. All carry-on items get a Security screening in the new terminal.

Although Halifax is fully equipped with customs, most of the passengers on your Minneapolis-Toronto flight will be getting off for good in Toronto. That's why everyone must go to customs in Toronto.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: TRavel question, customs, MSP > YYZ > YHZ

David has described it well except for one detail: you'll go through security screening in Toronto regardless. Going through Customs requires passing through the baggage claim area, which is not "sterile" (i.e. in that area, you have access to dangerous items like full-size bottles of shampoo), so you and your carry-ons have to be rescreened before you can return to the gate area.

In Toronto, you're unlikely to have to change terminals. Air Canada, United, and US Airways are in Terminal 1; WestJet, Delta, and American are in Terminal 3.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TRavel question, customs, MSP > YYZ > YHZ

Thanks! So either way ill have all of my stuff with me in customs. I was planning a carry on, so I think I'll stick to that. We won't have much. Is two hours enough?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,163 posts
775 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TRavel question, customs, MSP > YYZ > YHZ

It should be more than enough time.....

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TRavel question, customs, MSP > YYZ > YHZ

Excellent, thank you!

We will still plan on doing everything via carry-on, we won't need more items than can fit in out carry on.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: TRavel question, customs, MSP > YYZ > YHZ

Is it best to buy UK pounds from the bank or at YYZ. Banks have $5 service charge.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: TRavel question, customs, MSP > YYZ > YHZ

Is it better or not to buy UK pounds at the bank or at YYZ? Bank has $5 service charge.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TRavel question, customs, MSP > YYZ > YHZ

How does it work going the other way? Us customs at yyz?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TRavel question, customs, MSP > YYZ > YHZ

Hi Again, MSP!

Yes, returning to the United States, you'll go through US customs pre-clearance at Toronto, the last airport before leaving Canada. Special US customs facilities are located at many big Canadian airports, including Halifax and Toronto.

You clear US customs in Canada. Then, you arrive in Minneapolis as though on a US domestic flight, with no border clearance needed on the ground in the US.

If your flight from Halifax were direct to the USA, you would go through US customs pre-clearance in Halifax. Your flight back to Toronto, however, with be a Canadian domestic flight. Then you go through US pre-clearance in Toronto.

David

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: TRavel question, customs, MSP > YYZ > YHZ

As for the question in replies #6 & #7, the currency exchange at the airport is never a good deal. The rate is much worse than your bank, even if they advertise "no fee".