We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is This Doable??

Santa Fe
Level Contributor
576 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Is This Doable??

We are thinking about taking a day trip from Niagara Falls to Toronto and it looked like a good idea, but we have been giving it some thought and now we are having our doubts.

We are concerned because our flight leaves early the next day from Buffalo, NY, so we really don't want to stay in Toronto very late because we want to get some rest before the flight back home (we also have 3 small children that need some rest.)

The question is: is it possible to leave Niagara Falls early (7am or 8am) and explore Toronto until maybe (5pm or 6pm). Is this enough time to take the Greyline tour and see the CN Tower and Chinatown?

Mentioned in this post
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
Ontario, Canada
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Vip Ontario Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Walk Toronto Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Tourthe6ix
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,782 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is This Doable??

It is doable ... however ... if you are travelling on a weekday you will encounter rush hour traffic both coming into and leaving the city, at the times you are proposing.

I'm not sure why you've decided Chinatown is a must see - unless visiting Chinatowns is something you really love to do. In Greater Toronto there are actually at least 3 different Chinatowns. The original is on Spadina Avenue, just north of the CN Tower. It is mainly retail - produce and grocery stores, cheap souvenir stores, restaurants, etc. Not really a tourist hot spot.

Santa Fe
Level Contributor
576 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is This Doable??

Chinatown we want to do for souvenirs only.

I am not sure if it's worth the travel time. I guess we will have to decide once we are in Niagara depending on how tired we feel.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,782 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is This Doable??

You can buy souvenirs anywhere. The stuff in Chinatown is cheap crap, that is - unsurprisingly - made in China, not Canada.

Most people visit Niagara Falls as a day trip from Toronto, rather than the reverse.'Sounds to me as though it would be best if you just stayed in NF.

Edited: 24 May 2013, 22:16
Mentioned in this post
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
Ontario, Canada
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is This Doable??

I totally agree with phpr....if cheap souveniers is one of the main reasons to drive all the way to Toronto I'd say forget about it....you can buy that stuff anywhere. The money you'd spend on gas and your time wasted to save 50 cents in Chinatown on a $3 piece of junk just doesn't add up.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
784 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is This Doable??

Sure there is some crap, okay a lot, in Chinatown, but there are some kitschy stores with some value, not to mention Kensington Market is right next door...

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
715 posts
835 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is This Doable??

The souvenirs on Yonge Street and those in Chinatown are not the best. The prices are low, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Toronto
Level Contributor
427 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is This Doable??

To answer your question, yes it's very doable. The Toronto-Niagara is about 90 minutes to 2 hours depending how fast you drive and traffic conditions. However, as others have pointed out if you're planning on visiting during a week day you'll hit rush our traffic both entering and leaving the city which can make the drive time a lot longer.

Though if you're coming all the way from Sante Fe and if you won't be in this area again any time soon why not try it.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is This Doable??

Give Toronto a try. It's Canada's biggest city with lots to offer.

Take a double decker tour of the city to familiarize yourself. I did the same in Chicago and it was great

The downtown area is busy with tourists, business people and every walk of life imaginable.

As I said you are so close so why not check it out!

Santa Fe
Level Contributor
576 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is This Doable??

I am obviously not driving to Toronto just for souvenirs, i don't think anyone would be stupid enough to do that.I am driving to Toronto for the day because i am from Santa Fe, NM and will mostt likely not have the opportunity to visit that city in the near future. I will not forgive myself if i didn't go when i was so close.

Anyway, thanks so much for your thoughts jag and charlie...i have decided i will go for the day and at least take the bus tour and visit the CN tour.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
79,092 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is This Doable??

Hi Naya;

Morning rush hour, entering the city, is approx. 6 am to 10 am. Afternoon rush hour, leaving the city, is approx. 3 pm to 7 pm.

Best Regards