We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch Spot in Downtown Toronto

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch Spot in Downtown Toronto

Hi All, my husband, mother and I will be traveling to Toronto from Niagara Falls for a day at the end of the month. My mother will be meeting up with her cousin who she has not seen in 50 years! We are looking for a nice, quiet place to have lunch where they can catch up with each other and not feel rushed. It doesn't have to be high-end. Any place in the downtown area that serves decent food and would not rush you out the door would be fine. I appreciate any opinions! Thanks!

Edited: 11 June 2013, 01:38
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch Spot in Downtown Toronto

Perhaps you might add a wee bit more info. Toronto's downtown is similar to Manhattan. There is a downtown a midtown and an uptown. Do you know of an intersection close to your Mom's cousin?

Also, what type of food are you looking for? Seafood, Italian, Chinese, Steakhouse, pub style? There are very many restaurants in Toronto and if you could narrow down your preference it would be helpful.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch Spot in Downtown Toronto

Thanks for your reply, krustytripper! I suppose a little bit more info would be helpful! My mom's cousin lives in the suburbs of Toronto and I get the impression that she does not venture into the city too often. Her husband recommended the Strathcona Hotel & Royal York Hotel as places to stay, so I suppose he must be familiar with that general area. I believe they are centrally located in the downtown area--York Street & Front Street respectively. Anywhere around there would be good. We might not even stay in Toronto for the night, but since they mentioned that area I guess it would be be good to stay close enough to it. As far as food goes, pub style would be fine as well as Italian or even a good old-fashioned diner. American, Irish, or Italian food would be great. Seafood and Chinese would not appeal. It would be great if it could be a place that they could linger and catch up. Thanks again!

Edited: 11 June 2013, 02:11
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch Spot in Downtown Toronto

As you'll see in the hotel reviews the Strathcona & Royal York are located close to each other but hey are very different. If you are driving the area is a bit of a zoo due to the ongoing construction on Front Street. I haven't checked reviews but another option is the Novotel on The Esplanade or the Marriott Eaton Centre.

At the following link you can choose by neighbourhood ... the 2 hotels you mentioned are in the financial district. www.torontolife.com/guides/restaurants/

We all like different foods but here are some that I've been to. I don't know if they are open for lunch on the weekend and on weekdays most are busy and reservations are a must... Beer Bistro on King St., there are pubs on the Esplanade - all prices, Fran's is on Front Street, Earls and Armadillo are a bit further west but OK to walk, Irish Embassy which is a pub but very noisy, Bannock up by the Eaton Centre, Mercatto on Bay or on Toronto Street, Over Easy in the Victoria Hotel is inexpensive but the food is OK diner like, Epic is in the Royal York, and so on.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch Spot in Downtown Toronto

As you'll see in the hotel reviews the Strathcona & Royal York are located close to each other but hey are very different. If you are driving the area is a bit of a zoo due to the ongoing construction on Front Street. I haven't checked reviews but another option is the Novotel on The Esplanade or the Marriott Eaton Centre.

At the following link you can choose by neighbourhood ... the 2 hotels you mentioned are in the financial district. www.torontolife.com/guides/restaurants/

We all like different foods but here are some that I've been to. I don't know if they are open for lunch on the weekend and on weekdays most are busy and reservations are a must... Beer Bistro on King St., there are pubs on the Esplanade - all prices, Fran's is on Front Street, Earls and Armadillo are a bit further west but OK to walk, Irish Embassy which is a pub but very noisy, Bannock up by the Eaton Centre, Mercatto on Bay or on Toronto Street, Over Easy in the Victoria Hotel is inexpensive but the food is OK diner like, Epic is in the Royal York, and so on.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch Spot in Downtown Toronto

Obika Mozzarella Bar, Marché, mr. Greenjeans, Houston's and the Irish Embassy may also be considered...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch Spot in Downtown Toronto

Thanks for the replies! I have something to go on now and can read up on reviews here on TA. Thanks again!

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch Spot in Downtown Toronto

http://www.toronto.com/restaurants/

Toronto
Level Contributor
392 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch Spot in Downtown Toronto

Afternoon tea at the Royal York might be something to consider.

fairmont.com/royal-york-toronto/…

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,069 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch Spot in Downtown Toronto

Hi CMac1029,

One of my favourite restaurants for lunch is Donatello. The Italian food is very authentic and the atmosphere is relaxing and they definitely won't rush you. Would highly recommend it.

http://www.donatellorestaurant.ca/

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155019-d70…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch Spot in Downtown Toronto

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I really appreciate it!