We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto Nightlife

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto Nightlife

Is there a section or neighborhood in Toronto that anyone suggests would be safer than others for nightlife? My husband and I have never been to Toronto before, and we were thinking of going out at night in the Distillery District, but if there is somewhere else that you can suggest would be safer (in case we would happen to get lost), I'd really appreciate it. We enjoy sitting at a bar drinking a beer...not going out to a dance club. We probably wouldn't stay out any later than midnight. Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto Nightlife

Toronto is for the most part a fairly safe city, and you can't get much safer than the Distillery District. Unless your main safety concern is tripping on old-fashioned cobblestones. The Distillery as you've probably figured out is an arts and entertainment enclave on the former site of an actual distillery, with the old buildings re-adapted as studios, shops, galleries, restaurants, a theatre, a brewpub, etc.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto Nightlife

Do you know where you're staying yet so we could suggest someplace with a fairly direct route "home"?

What age range do you fall into?

There are several neighbourhoods that have busy streetlife at night which would probably make you feel safer, but which ones to suggest would be influenced by your answers to the questions above.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto Nightlife

We don't have a hotel yet, but I am leaning towards either the Delta Chelsea or Cosmopolitan. We are in our late 20s. Thanks for your help in advance!

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto Nightlife

The delta Chelsea is being rebranded as the eaton Chelsea and under renovation I believe, as the hotel was sold to an Asian group. I would avoid that hotel is you are a discriminating traveler. It has to offer the worst service for an hotel in its class. It is the largest hotel in Canada and if you are hoping for a personal touch, go elsewhere. Personally, I would avoid at all cost!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto Nightlife

Little Italy is great for patios and bars....great atmosphere across College st in general, I'd head there....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto Nightlife

Yup, College Street is a great place to head. Lots of bars, patios, and lots of dinner spots, too. The stretch you'll want to be on runs west of Bathurst between say Palmerston and Shaw. To get there, take the 506 streetcar westbound from College or Queen's Park subway stations.

Ossington Avenue between Queen St W and Dundas St W is also a lot of fun. (Bellwods Brewery on Ossington was suggested in your brewery post). You might also like the Drake Hotel on Queen St W just around the corner from Ossington. The 501 Queen streetcar gets you there from Queen or Osgoode stations.

Other options would be Danforth Avenue (Greektown) and Queen Street E in Leslieville.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Distillery, but the streets around there will be fairly quiet around midnight.

7. Re: Toronto Nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 05:16