We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion on a place to stay, easily reachable by car

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Livorno, Italy
Level Contributor
140 posts
301 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion on a place to stay, easily reachable by car

We are planning a Toronto-Niagara Falls trip for next week, by car. After reading many posts in the forum, I'm afraid that driving in Toronto will be a nightmare (compared to big cities we are used to, like Chicago). So, I would like to find a hotel easily reachable by car, (so not necessarily downtown), having its own parking, and close to public transportation, in order to leave the car at the hotel and using subway or bus to explore Toronto. We are planning to spend 2 nights in the city. Can you help me?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,613 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion on a place to stay, easily reachable by car

Holiday Inn Yorkdale

Novotel North York

Livorno, Italy
Level Contributor
140 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion on a place to stay, easily reachable by car

Thanks

It is even worse than I expected... more than 10 km from downtown....

Is the subway getting so far?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion on a place to stay, easily reachable by car

Of the two places suggested by phpr, the first is right by Yorkdale Station and the second by North York Centre Station. Both are subway stations on the Yonge-University-Spadina line, each a 20 to 30 minute direct subway ride to the downtown core.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion on a place to stay, easily reachable by car

Toronto is not worse than Chicago. I'd say they are similar. Both cities have their daily rush hour traffic (7am-10am and 3pm-6pm) and both have their share of construction, although right now Toronto does have plenty of road construction going on. If you were ok driving around Chicago then Toronto will be mostly the same.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,613 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion on a place to stay, easily reachable by car

if you don't want to drive downtown these are the options you have that provide easy access as you wanted.

Holiday Inn Yorkdale is right at the 401 highway and Dufferin Street. The subway stop is across the street at Yorkdale Shopping Centre. A subway trip downtown from there would take a bout 30 minutes. Spadina line.

Novotel is on Yonge Street, north of the 401. Again - the subway is accessible from right in the building and the ride would take about the same amount of time (30 - 45 min). Yonge line.

http://www.ttc.ca/index.jsp

You could also take a look a the Radisson Admiral which is right on the waterfront. You'd have to drive into the city to get there, but since it's on the water, you won't be in the downtown core snarl.

But remember - most hotels downtown have parking ... it's just a matter of getting to them and then not using your car. And the getting there is not that difficult.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 16:42
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestion on a place to stay, easily reachable by car

Driving is really not that bad...get a downtown hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestion on a place to stay, easily reachable by car

You will want to ensure that the subway will be running the weekend you will be in town, there have been a number of weekend closures of the subway downtown this summer for track repairs, including the upcoming weekend, look at TTC.ca for details...

Livorno, Italy
Level Contributor
140 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestion on a place to stay, easily reachable by car

Finally, we spent one night at the Novotel Toronto Centre, on the Esplanade. We arrived on saturday late morning and left on sunday morning , and the driving was not bad at all. We chose this hotel because, from the map, it looked easily accessible from the Gardiner, and we were not disappointed (a little bit disoriented by the massive contruction works, though, so at first we missed the Esplanade from the Yonge).

Thanks to all those that encouraged me to choose a downtown hotel! It was a good choice!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,065 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestion on a place to stay, easily reachable by car

Sandra...........thanks for reporting back to the Forum with your experience........this will no doubt help other travelers who may be wondering where they might stay..........I've driven not only in Toronto, but other major cities in North America.......New York City, Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles being some of them, and I find the Toronto traffic to actually be less congested .........most often the forum recommends that visitor's take the TTC because it is readily available, and simply less troublesome than finding parking/looking for directions, and the neighbourhoods are very walkable, but people can and do drive in Toronto daily without incident........

Toronto
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestion on a place to stay, easily reachable by car

If you have driven in Chicago, Toronto driving is no different.