We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almost there,but-----

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Almost there,but-----

We leave two weeks today for our 12 day trip to Ontario and nearly everything is planned and booked.I've had a lot of good advice and help from locals on this forum but I still have one or two things I am a bit unsure about.

We'll be leaving Collingwood late morning on Sunday 8th September and heading for Toronto Novotel Centre for our final night in Canada.We then leave on Monday 9th late afternoon to drive to the airport and return our rental car.

How easy will it be to drive in to town to the Novotel given that I understand many roads are closed with works going on? Are there any one way streets we should be aware of? We wish to park as securely as possible by the hotel but I'm unsure as to whether the adjacent parking belongs to the hotel or is public.Maybe there is a choice?

Anyway, I like to know if possible where the entrance to the parking would be.Is it in The Esplanade same as the hotel? Once parked,we'll leave the car until we drive to return it the following afternoon.

I'm trying to make this as stress free as possible.We've encountered city centres before which have looked easy to negotiate but have turned out to be nightmares.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,370 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Almost there,but-----

There is a municipal Green P parking lot right by the hotel, off the Esplanade.

…greenp.com/parking-info/carpark-info/43_2-c…

You will come into the city along the Gardiner Expressway, from the west - going east. Exit the expressway at the Jarvis Street exit. Go north, under the expressway, about one block to The Esplanade. Turn left on the Espanade and continue to Church Street. Turning left on Church street takes you right into the parking garage.Now, the Novotel is just a block west of the parking garage. You might want to unload your bags, check - in, etc. first before going back to the lot.

There may indeed be parking at the hotel - but I'm unfamiliar with where it is ... probably behind or underneath the hotel.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 15:13
Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Almost there,but-----

Kinda wondering why you don't book a hotel OUT of the downtown core, if it's just for one night prep to leaving from Pearson International. There is a Novotel hotel in the north end, North York, which is RIGHT on the subway line. You could park there easily, leave the car, grab a quick subway (15-20 minutes) into the downtown core, have your exploring time, and then the next day be barely 15-20 minutes from the airport. The Novotel north is barely 5 minutes off Highway 401, which you can easily connect to coming down from Collingwood. There's a gazillion restaurants within spitting distance of the hotel, it would, frankly, just be a whole lot easier to spend the last night there, than to drive through the horrendous mess that is our downtown, especially around that downtown Novotel, and then have to accommodate for that traffic time to get OUT of the city to Pearson the next day.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Almost there,but-----

Unless you plan on doing a lot of stuff downtown, I'd say Novotel in North York, or something much closer to the airposrt as flyinmom has suggested, avoid the congestion of downtown if possible...

Edited: 14 August 2013, 19:59
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Almost there,but-----

The OP said they had an afternoon flight, so presumably they want to spend that last day in the city itself.

Phpr has given a good route that wouldn't be directly affected by construction. (The part of downtown that's messiest at the moment is Front Street between Yonge and York, with complete closures in places. Queens Quay is also temporarily one-way westbound from Yonge to Bathurst.)

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Almost there,but-----

Thanks everyone for your replies.We do want to be downtown so think we'll risk it and go with the route Phpr has suggested.We are happy to walk everywhere within a limited area and want to maximise our short time in the city by not having to keep taking public transport to and fro especially if we want to pop back to our hotel room to freshen up before an evening meal.

We know to expect disruption but I am sure we'll cope.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,370 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Almost there,but-----

You're welcome.

Just as an aside, to get back to the airport, you would reverse the route I described above. To get to the airport you'll be taking highway 427 north from the Gardner/QEW. But leave yourself plenty of time ... rush hour begins about 3:30 - 4pm, and continues to 6-ish. departing from where you are means you will be in the thick of it.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Almost there,but-----

Thanks phpr. Seems like we are always going to be in the thick of it.

When we arrive on August 28 we'll be picking up the car and heading for NOTL.This will be in rush hour.

Then going from NOTL to Thornton on 30 August it will be the Friday afternoon of the holiday weekend.Then we have the pleasure of sitting in traffic as we drive to the airport and return the car early evening.

Still, husband is used to driving in heavy traffic in London although not always in the best of humour.

8. Re: Almost there,but-----

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 06:20