We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top tables?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Top tables?

Hi Toronto forum...I have an anniversary surprise dinner that I want to organise (together with my partner for fifteen years.)

Is there any restaurant that epitomises Toronto as a dining (for the want of a better word) institution?

I´m thinking something like the 21 Club or the Four Seasons Restaurant in NYC - a once off experience that everyone (or at least most of you) would think of when it comes to reliable dining.

Thanks!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Top tables?

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g155019-d7…

Better food then the CN tower, nice views, some unique Canadiana on the menu.

I've never actually ate there, because I'm cheap, but I've heard good things.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top tables?

That's a tough one, because many of the really high end restaurants in town are of the European persuasion and Toronto's strengths IMO are in the low to mid range area and really authentic Asian and South Asian cuisines. Most high end places that come to mind, you've probably had better already elsewhere.

CANOE definitely would be a great choice however.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 16:21
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top tables?

Urbanfoodie hits the nail on the head.....a third vote for Canoe

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top tables?

I just thought another potentially good place would be Cafe Belong at The Brickworks.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,149 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top tables?

Scaramouche is one of my favorites for special occasions.

Also - take a look at Toronto Life Restaurant guide:

http://www.torontolife.com/

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top tables?

Scaramouche and Canoe both fall into the "Toronto institutions" category, and both are VERY good restaurants. We would favour Canoe, though, for this particular occassion. (Be aware, though, that it is not open on Saturdays or Sundays.)

In comparing them, we find Canoe is a little more adventuresome. It is also newly renovated, and of course the setting is quite spectacular. We went a few weeks ago for a significant birthday and were treated royally. Let them know of your event when you make the reservation, and ask for a table at the window.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
614 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top tables?

For breathtaking views, nothing can beat Canoe. I am not sure what time of year you plan to visit. If possible time your reservation to span the sunset. This way you get to the city in daylight followed by darkness with all the wonderful night illumination.

Although the food is quite good at Canoe, the food and service at Scaramouche is truly outstanding. It also has a good view of the downtown but not nearly as good as Canoe. It is also quite romantic in my mind.

For both restaurants, you need to book early to get good seating.

A hard decision!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top tables?

That's easy, Canoe is modern Canadiana cusine with a top view. Reserve a table by the window.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top tables?

Scaramouche, Canoe, Lee, Auberge du Pommier, North 44,

You might want to check out this bastion of Toronto restaurant reviews, Toronto Life: torontolife.com/daily-dish/… That will certainly tell you what the hottest restaurants are.

10. Re: Top tables?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 06:21