We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perfect "overnight" in Toronto?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Perfect "overnight" in Toronto?

Hi! We are new to the GTA, live in the suburbs and haven't been able to explore the city of Toronto much yet. We have a babysitter for an overnight on an upcoming Saturday, and I'm looking for suggestions for things to do. We love vibrant, lively areas.

Any suggestions for hotels, restaurants, activities? We love seafood. And we are on a budget, so nothing that is insanely expensive.

Thank you for any advice!!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perfect "overnight" in Toronto?

head down to Little Italy or Greek Town...College or Danforth

Go down to the Distillery...by St Lawrence Market...live music/jazz, choice of restaurants, Esplanade is not too far of a walk...Bier Markt on Esplanade.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perfect "overnight" in Toronto?

Hi.

There are a few hotels around the King Street West, John Street and Mercer areas. There is the SoHo, The Hoilday Inn on King and Le Germain. I would call for rates, you will get a variety from those hotels. If you like a lively, vibrant area there are many restaurants and nightclubs on King Street West and on Mercer. This area I just mentioned you would get all three...hotel, restaurants and bars. A few that come to mind...Urban, KitKat, Schmooze, Rain.

We usually stay in this area and we like it a lot. There are also a lot of little boutiques in the area.

I recently read where the Gladstone Hotel on Queen Street has just been remodelled, but I can not give you first hand experience on it.

Good luck.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perfect "overnight" in Toronto?

If you like seafood and want to try something a little different, there is this chinese seafood place called Wah Sing they are at 47 Baldwin street, steps from china town and kensington market. My favorite dish is lobsters stir fryed in Ginger or black bean sauce (both are excellent) and you get 2 lobsters for about $25. You really haven't had lobstar till you see what these chinese guys can do to a lobster

There's lots more items on the menu and you can get out of there for under $80 for the 2 of you, if you stick to drinking tea.

After dinner you can walk around Kensington, or along Queen street and hit a bar or nightclub. Or hop a cab to the club district.

Have fun

glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perfect "overnight" in Toronto?

Another hotel suggestion (depending on the pennies!) is the Sheraton Centre, we stayed there as part of our honeymoon and would recommend it especially if youcan get a good view and a room with a jacuzzi bath :o)

Whatever you do enjoy!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perfect "overnight" in Toronto?

For your night out I would reccomend Le Germain or Soho Met but if you are on more of a budget the Suites at One King West can be a steal.

Toronto
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Perfect "overnight" in Toronto?

You might enjoy staying at the Holiday Inn on King. You will be walking distance to everything! Theatres are just down the street, restaurants right in front, bars and clubs walking distance, Eaton Centre (shopping mall) is only 5-10 mins ride on the streetcar. You will also be walking distance from the CN Tower and Air Canada/Roger's Centre

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perfect "overnight" in Toronto?

The true beauty of Toronto is all in the cosy neighbourhoods. You'll have plenty of time to see the downtown core (i.e. CN Tower, Eaton's Centre, etc.)

Try staying at a B&B, maybe in a cool old Victorian House. (try Lakeview Victorian B&B) I prefer the west end for neat, old school neighbourhoods. Little Italy (as suggested) is a great idea. There are many good places to go for dinner in the area. A good, hidden place in the west end is Julie's Cuban Restaurant (on Dovercourt just south of Dundas in a completely residential area) It is an old 1950's convenience store, converted into an intimate little Cuban tapas place. Great food! Lots of shrimp on the menu too!

There are lots of good little breakfast joints in the area too. On College near Ossington is "Boom Breakfast" - great Eggs Benedict, there is also "Rustic Cosmo Cafe" down on Queen, just under the bridge from the Gladstone Hotel (great hotel, but not really "budget") as well as "Aunties and Uncles" at College and Lippincott.

Good luck! Hope you have a blast!

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perfect "overnight" in Toronto?

Thank you all so much for your suggestions - advice like this is so great to get and is so helpful. I'm going to follow up on some of these hotels. Thanks!!!

9. Re: Perfect "overnight" in Toronto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 17:19