We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV trip from Toronto to Chicago

london
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
RV trip from Toronto to Chicago

Hi all

I am thinking of taking a week long RV road trip with my wife and three young kids from Toronto to Chicago going via the Niagara Falls in summer 2014. Can anyone please advise me on whether this is do-able and what other attractions there are along the route.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Niagara Day Tour
Niagara Day Tour
709 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
79,041 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV trip from Toronto to Chicago

Hi barnet_travellers;

You will NOT want an RV in either Toronto or Chicago. I would suggest renting a car and using hotels.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
london
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV trip from Toronto to Chicago

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I am only thinking of Chicago and Toronto as pick up and drop off points. I plan to be out on the open road from the off.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
784 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV trip from Toronto to Chicago

RV will be very costly, you will probably be given only 200km a day, then $0.50 a km afterwards, not to mention the cost of gas for an RV.....

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV trip from Toronto to Chicago

I don't know of any company that will let you pick up an RV in Tornoto and drop it off in Chicago. One-Way rentals are difficult enough to find.... let alone a one-way rental between 2 countries.

Several years ago, I took an RV trip (my own vehicle though) from Ottawa to Winnipeg... and stayed in downtown Chicago for a couple of days at a hotel. I'd called beforehand to ensure there was surface RV parking nearby and didn't have any problem driving into the city and parking for 2 nights.

I wouldn't want to get lost in a city in an RV, but with a little planning ahead it's quite doable.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
5. Re: RV trip from Toronto to Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 05:16