We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lord of the Rings stage production closing Sept 3

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Lord of the Rings stage production closing Sept 3

I've just received the latest Estage newsletter from Mirvish Productions, announcing the closure of The Lord of the Rings stage production.

The newsletter says the show will close after its Sunday, Sept 3 performance, and then open in London, England at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane in May, 2007.

People holding tickets for performances that had been scheduled for after Sept 3 can either get a full refund or exchange their tickets for an earlier show.

Ont
Level Contributor
477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lord of the Rings stage production closing Sept 3

Just heard that on the news, people are finding it too long & the show is loosing money. They say the revamped show in England will be 3hrs long.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lord of the Rings stage production closing Sept 3

How long is it in Toronto?

Pibb

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lord of the Rings stage production closing Sept 3

Mr Pibb

The Globe & Mail today confirms the Sep 3/06 date Donny indicated:

"Curtain to fall for $28-million Dora-winning stage show on Sept. 3; revamped version to open in London next year "

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lord of the Rings stage production closing Sept 3

And if you were asking about the length of each performance in Toronto, the Toronto Star gave the answer in an article last week:

"At its first preview in February, it ran nearly five hours; by opening night it was down to three hours and 45 minutes, and in recent weeks it has clocked in at three hours and 15 minutes."

(From www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer… )

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lord of the Rings stage production closing Sept 3

O.K. Thank you!

Pibb,

Toronto
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lord of the Rings stage production closing Sept 3

i went last night and thoroughly enjoyed the show...

i think we should stop listening to critics and other detractors, like toronto's mayor, david miller...we listen to these people and adopt their critiques as our own without experiencing first hand and forming our own impressions...we 're using these critques as an excuse for not going and then before you realize these thoughts become your own and not something you've heard...

this not only applies to lord of the rings but everything in general and in life...

go out and experience life, our great city...get off your couch and formulate your own opinion...

but that's me...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lord of the Rings stage production closing Sept 3

skateboy, i'm no fan of the mayor, but every time I've seen him on TV talking about LOTR, and every time I've read newspaper articles quoting him about LOTR, his remarks have always been extremely positive -- I have never gotten the impression he has been critical of the show or a "detractor" of the production in any way. Quite the contrary -- I always thought he was over-hyping the show, primarily because he -- and city hall officials as a whole -- were pinning so much hope on LOTR to revive the local tourism slump.

Just as one example, a quote from the mayor on the front page of today's Globe and Mail says: "The first act of The Lord of the Rings is the best theatre I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of theatre." He also is on record as concurring with theatre critics in London, who praised the show, rather than the New York critics, who panned it.

I haven't yet seen LOTR, but have spoken to quite a few people who have and who, like you and the mayor, thoroughly enjoyed it (interestingly, most of them saw the production either in previews or during opening week, before the producers began making cuts to shorten the length of the show). It's unfortunate the positive word of mouth wasn't enough to encourage stronger ticket sales, but I'm sure the negative reviews by the North American media discouraged a lot of people from buying tickets.

I'm 100% in agreement with your view that people need to experience events and attractions on their own to draw their own conclusions about them, rather than simply adopting the opinions of the "experts" and critics constantly quoted in the media.

Toronto
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lord of the Rings stage production closing Sept 3

what cheesed me off about miller was his comment blaming 9/11 for the lack of attendance/slow ticket sales or whatever...

taking nothing away from 9/11 and the suffering it has caused all over the world, it was several years ago, so let's get over it...move on and lets stress the positive...sell the city, not give excuses for not coming here...

but that's me....

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lord of the Rings stage production closing Sept 3

Ah, I understand what you were referring to now .... the 9/11 and SARS stuff. Well you're absolutely right on that point -- he and many others certainly have been giving people plenty of reasons to stay away based on events from years past or things that might happen in future (ie proposed US laws requiring Americans to have passports to travel to/from Canada).

I've long thought that the city and local tourism organizations have been doing a pathetic job of marketing Toronto. Their promotions never seem to convey any compelling/appealing reasons why people should come here, and pale in comparison to the marketing Montreal does, for example. I regularly see ads for Montreal in American magazines, and receive regular email newsletters from Tourism Montreal, and they make me think: "Wow ... look at how much there is to see & do there." The Toronto ads (when there are any), on the other hand, are more of an embarrassment than anything else. And that dreadful "Toronto Unlimited" logo and campaign ... ah, I better not get started on that one!

Toronto
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lord of the Rings stage production closing Sept 3

thank you...i agree...

sometime what i want to say doesn't get to my finger tips but you've stated exactly what i wanted to say...

i too get the montreal ads and they are very well done...