We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto International Film Festival

Massachussetts
Level Contributor
347 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto International Film Festival

We have just come back from 12 days at Tiff. It is our 25th year attending. We see 4-5 films per day. It is the best film we see all year. To those people who live in Toronto and have never been...go next year even for a couple of films...plan it now... If you enjoy film, this is the best there is.The ticket prices are worth every dollar. We come from the States every year for this. It is our Canadian fix. The audiences are respectful, quiet, appreciative and emotive. Even standing in the lines is entertaining. It never ceases to amaze us how polite, educated and interesting Toronto film audiences are.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto International Film Festival

I've been about half as many times as you but every single visit has been a gas. Great films, great crowds, great parties. I always leave slightly surprised/relieved that it's still such a classy event.

See you next year!

Cheers,

Terry

Toronto
Level Contributor
597 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto International Film Festival

I go to quite a few films but not nearly as many as you. I look forward to this every year and love standing in line talking to out-of-towners. I found this year to be a bit more disorganized than others but it was still fun.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,782 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto International Film Festival

There was a time when I'd take a week of vacation and see as many films a day as you. Now I'm outside of the city and don't get in as often. There was a bit of commentary early this week in the media about whether the festival has now become a victim of its own success: grown too large to accommodate that wonderful mandate of it being a festival for everyone ... not just the film industry types. That may well be, but it is still the best festival for public participation with immediate public feedback. My friends in the industry tell me this is one reason why it's such an important festival for the filmmakers.

Glad you enjoyed yourself... and remember Toronto (apparently) has more film fests than any other city in North America (according to some article I read recently)... my fave is Hot Docs.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto International Film Festival

Hi wrldtrav.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the film festival! I think I remember you posting here a few years ago if my memory serves me right. This year was the first time I attended and even though I didn't get to a gala event I was really happy I I finally got to be a part of it. Next year I plan on getting tickets much earlier.

Best wishes.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
784 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto International Film Festival

Always great to hear such positive feedback about Toronto and Torontonians, thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,275 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto International Film Festival

Thank you wrldtrav for the kind comments about TIFF and the Toronto film crowds...come back anytime !

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto International Film Festival

Hi. i am thinking of surprising my wife and 10 of her friends and sending them to TIFF 2014. We have never done it before so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. places to stay, must see/things to do, best way to get tickets to the best movies etc.

thanks,

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto International Film Festival

hazletian, please start a new thread rather than tack your question onto an old one... it confuses things when threads contain multiple discussions, and people who participated in the original discussion might not want the email notifications of new replies.

Albany, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto International Film Festival

I've dreamed of doing exactly that for a couple of years now, and I think I'm going to try it. Seeing 4-5 films per day for a week sounds like heaven to me, except I think Canada may be nicer than heaven ;-) . But Toronto is a long way from California and it's really hard for me to tell what's the best way to interact with the festival.

Can you tell me more details of how you organize it? Do you buy a package of tickets, or one at a time, or what? Are the theaters all over town, do you need a car? Are there special things to look out for or avoid? Is there a good source of information on how to plan a week at the festival? Are the "premium" movies worth shelling out the extra money for? It looks like that many movies would run $100-$200 a day just for tickets?

Any information you can give me would be hugely appreciated, thanks!

Massachussetts
Level Contributor
347 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toronto International Film Festival

Definitely no car! Great uncomplicated subway system connects all the venues...you can buy a weeks pass on the metro and it is good on buses or trolleys. Stay (hotel, etc) within walking distance of subway.

Buy a film festival package "My choice Flex pack) for as many films as you and friend/spouse might see......late June/ early July whenever the website will allow....the premium flex packs are worth it...if it doesnt break your budget...but Ive found that 4-6 is plenty... Most of the premium screenings are available at lower key non premium screenings available thru your regular flex pack...the premium screenings usually have a director/ star(s).. And a lot of hoopla...its cool but even without the buzz its a great film festival if you are hooked on movies. If you hate boring, formulaic, cineplex type movies with people talking during the screenings.....you will love TIFF. If you love any kind of film.... Foreign or domestic...you will find it here. Toronto is such an ethnicly diverse city that the foreign film screenings are often times populated with many of those groups, ie Greeks, Indians, Russians, Argentinians, etc...It greatly enriches the experience to have the energy of these different groups sit with you during their countrymens films! The TIFF site has a lot of information on it....they will let you know, after you have bought the package, when your festival flex pack can choose their tickets.Pay attention to dates. You can order a actual program book delivery...but its all online...but having the book is helpful when making choices....especially if your internet goes down or you only have one computer and 2 interested attendees. It is not too early to make hotel and flight arrangements.