We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eastern canada tour

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Eastern canada tour

We are doing a 12 night tour in September . We are flying in and out of toronto and will be hiring a car to get between places we are looking to have first night in toronto and then having 3 nights in Ottawa 3 nights in Montreal 1 night in Kingston 1night in niagra falls and rest of time in toronto. We wondered if it was better to go to niagra Kingston Montreal and Ottawa or go around in other direction any ideas?

Toronto Bicycle Tours
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Zoom Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Toronto
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eastern canada tour

Niagara is to the south-west of Toronto and the rest are to the east. So go to Niagara from Toronto on a day trip. The other three cities and be done together separately.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eastern canada tour

Niagara Falls could be a day trip from Toronto or a one-night stay, depending on how much one wants to do there (eg. just see the falls, or tour some wineries in the region?). The OP is already planning several nights in Toronto, so there isn't really a pressing reason to add another one instead of spending it in Niagara, except to reduce the total hotel moves by one.

Jenny R, in terms of the two options you lay out in your question I see no strong argument for one over the other. If you're planning to take a Thousand Islands boat tour from Kingston or Gananoque, maybe just check that the date of your Kingston stop doesn't impact the availability of the tours you want, as some operators change their schedule at some point in September. But it shouldn't be a big deal, you'll find something available either way. If you're doing anything outdoorsy along your travels, note that early September is more likely to bring warm weather, while late September can bring out the fall colours in some area (probably not Niagara as it happens later in the more southern areas). But since your trip is only 12 days we're not talking a huge seasonal difference between the beginning and end.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,370 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eastern canada tour

Essentially you are doing a loop, and there are various options for doing that, so you're able to avoid backtracking over the same areas.. Take some time to look at google maps, or a paper map, to see various routes ... there are plenty of secondary highways that will take you through varying landscapes and past certain sites. As noted, early September is usually warm, with evenings starting to chill ... you may be too early for full fall foliage, but some will begin in the Ottawa area by mid-September.

Note that the Toronto International Film festival takes place in early September, and the city fills up quickly - hotels become expensive during this two week period.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eastern canada tour

If you plan to spend 1 night in Niagara Falls, do that the day after Toronto. As mentioned, you could do a day trip from Toronto and see all the highlights...but the overnight trip is nice. Niagara-on-the-Lake is a nearby town in the wine region that is really beautiful.

After your stop in Niagara Falls, you can drive up to Kingston and then Ottawa. Kingston is on the way to Ottawa ...so you could just stop for lunch even. It's a two hour drive from Kingston to Ottawa. It's another two hours from Ottawa to Montreal.

What sort of things are you interested in seeing and doing? Nature, museums, restaurants etc? I'm from Ottawa originally, so I could give you some suggestions for the area but it depends on what you like. Montreal and Toronto are larger cities and have more tourist attractions and activities.

Toronto
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eastern canada tour

Just to the first part of phpr's response #3.. that's *if* you choose to make it a loop through secondary highways to avoid backtracking. If you just want to get between your main destinations quickly and maximize your time there, the fastest route is by the primary (400 series) highways, and by that route it's actually fairly linear: from Toronto (or Niagara Falls) to Montreal via Kingston and back the same way, with a detour to Ottawa in one of the directions. That means you can play with the ordering of destinations even more, like Montreal-Ottawa-Kingston if it worked out better (although your original options provide a more even distribution of driving distance between the days). Of course as phpr says there are other routes you can take, if you're up for longer driving trips and want to incorporate some natural/countryside destinations along the way.

You might also want to keep rush hour traffic patterns in mind: avoid leaving Toronto or Montreal late on a weekday afternoon, or entering those cities early on a weekday morning. That includes passing through Toronto if driving between Niagara Falls and Kingston in either direction.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eastern canada tour

If it is September this year, TIFF is done.....otherwise, unless you plan on seein a movie or two, I'd plan going to your other destinations while TIFF is in town and finishing up with Toronto at much more reasonable rates for hotels, etc

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eastern canada tour

We like to see all major attractions and any concerts or shows that are on . Nice restaurants are important as my husband has a food allergy so we normally have to check out restaurants before travelling

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Eastern canada tour

Any chance at this stage of you changing your departure point so you can open-jaw your trip?

u

Toronto
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Eastern canada tour

Even if it's possible for you to open-jaw your trip at this point, I'm not sure it would be worth the one-way drop fee on the rental car, though I admit I don't know how much that would come to. Montreal and Toronto are only 5 hours and 1 tank of gas apart, and you have destinations in mind both on the way from Toronto to Montreal and on the way back (Kingston and Ottawa, in one order or the other), so there isn't a huge extra trip you have to make to return to your starting point. If you are considering flying into Toronto and out of Montreal or vice versa, check what the one-way drop fee would be.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Eastern canada tour

Assuming it isn't usurious, I'd take it as a way of being able to better allocate travel time to taking the scenic route one-way as opposed to the 401.

Assuming it isn't and they can open-jaw, I'd suggest Montreal-Ottawa-Kingston-Toronto (with Niagara Falls day trip) or the reverse as is their preference.

u