We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flattest route to South Georgia (Jekyll Island) from GTA

Elmira, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Flattest route to South Georgia (Jekyll Island) from GTA

Hi All,

I'm looking for experienced Treckers who could suggest the least hilly/mountainous route from the GTA to Jekyll Island. The reason being is I have a smaller vehicle (SX4 Suzuki) pulling a small (Boler 1000lb) travel trailer and I want to be as easy as possible on my little Suzuk!

I don't mind adding hours to the trip - I just don't want those long up-and-down mountains in Penn or West Virginy! I've done those in the Suzuk alone and cannot see myself pulling my Boler over those without having a much more worn out car!

Here's a route I think is not too bad http://goo.gl/maps/vVZJg - I have been on most of these roads already.

So, what think ye experts?

PS: If you want to tell me I'm nuts for trying, that's ok too! ;v) I have pulled my Boler up to Sudbury and down onto Manitoulin and back without any trouble at all - other then strong head winds make the little Suzuk work pretty hard.

1. Re: Flattest route to South Georgia (Jekyll Island) from GTA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 October 2013, 02:41
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flattest route to South Georgia (Jekyll Island) from GTA

You can take three routes....I've done them all. I-75 is flat until you hit some hills in southern Kentucky, most of Tennessee and a tiny bit of northern Georgia. The northern leg is flat as a table.

Taking I-77 and I-79 through Pennsylvania, West Virginia and the Carolinas is much more mountainous....especially the northern leg going through Pennsylvania and the Virginias. I would definitely NOT take this route.

The 3rd way is going through upstate New York via Syracuse and down I-95. This route is also quite hilly through the northern parts of your drive but is mainly flat from Maryland south to Georgia.

I'd probably say that 1-75 would be your best bet for flattest. The only really hilly parts are in Tennesee, especially around Knoxville but overall that route would probably be best. The hills in southern Kentucky and Northern Georgia are not bad at all.

Edited: 22 October 2013, 02:07
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flattest route to South Georgia (Jekyll Island) from GTA

I-75 would be the best since your willing to add hours to your trip....

Elmira, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flattest route to South Georgia (Jekyll Island) from GTA

Thanks KrustyTripper!

I have not driven the I75 route, probably as it is so far away from the eastern sea board, but time looks about the same - not much different at all.

Did you have a look at my google map link ( http://goo.gl/maps/vVZJg ) - like your 3rd suggestion? Either way, I'd be curious to know what you thought of it compared to I75. We'd be travelling early May, so snow/weather shouldn't be a factor, I won't think.

Edited: 22 October 2013, 03:10
Elmira, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flattest route to South Georgia (Jekyll Island) from GTA

Thanks for your vote TDSuperstar!

And yeah, don't mind adding a few hours. Rather that, then to burn out my vehicle! it only adds 2+ hours or less, depending on the route. If I have to skirt northern hills I'm looking at about 18-20 hours as well, so it's really not much different.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flattest route to South Georgia (Jekyll Island) from GTA

Hi kgingeri. Yes, the map you provide shows the 3rd route I suggested. This is not a bad way either, however, in my opinion it's got more hills than I-75. If you do this route the hills occur in the north when going through upstate NY and especially the Pennsylvania portion of the trip which is the hilliest of all.

7. Re: Flattest route to South Georgia (Jekyll Island) from GTA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 05:18