We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ontario - Werid Question

Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ontario - Werid Question

Hi,

I am planning to go to Ontario for a week in September. I was thinking of staying in Toronto for 3 nights and then maybe heading to Niagara Falls for one night . Is it worth saying a night or would a few hours there be enough? We will be renting a Car for the last 4 days but are flying out from Toronto. We were going to travel around see some of the countryside (and here is my weird question) My boyfriend is very much into his dairy farming, where would be the best place to travel to for this "sightseeing" ?

Thanks!

Ont
Level Contributor
477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ontario - Werid Question

Would you actually like to visit a dairy farm of just see as you drive by?

Spending a night in Niagara is nice, there are good restaurants, seeing the falls at night is nice, I would spend the night if you have the time.

Ont
Level Contributor
477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ontario - Werid Question

What part of Ont were you planning on visiting?

Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ontario - Werid Question

Its more of a see as we drive by kind of thing or maybe even visit!! That's my question what part would you go to? I'm not at all into farming and if really embarrassed asking but I know he would love it. His own cows at home are his "women"!! LOL.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ontario - Werid Question

In Ottawa (the nation's capital, and worth a visit anyway), you'll find the Canada Agriculture Museum. It is a working farm (part of something called the "Experimental Farm") and its cows have always been the highlight. www.agriculture.technomuses.ca .

It's a five hour drive from Toronto to Ottawa, and just off the main highway is a fair bit of dairy farming. Apparently some private farms offer tours, e.g. northumberlandtourism.com/cgi-bin/gsub.cgi…

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ontario - Werid Question

Within a few miles off the 401 highway towards Guelph, Stratford and London, about 2 hrs from Toronto, there are a few dairy farms that I can recall passing by. This area of Southwestern Ontario does have many dairy farms though large operations are more and more prevalent these days, and you don't necessarily see cattle grazing the way you might be accustomed to.

Actually a friend of ours is a veterinarian with a mostly large animal practice, including bovine. Any farms that I can think of to drive by would take you at least 2 hrs from Toronto and with only a week to visit, I'm not sure it would be worth your while.

But I did locate a website for The Dairy Farmers of Ontario with an address and phone number near the Toronto airport. They might be able to give you information about an area closer to Toronto for you to visit.

http://www.milk.org/about/our_offices.html

Hope that helps.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ontario - Werid Question

I meant to add~

Otherwise the trip to Ottawa would be well worthwhile if you don't mind the drive. It's a great city for seeing sights...........

besides cows. :))

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ontario - Werid Question

Woodstock is Ontario's Dairy Capital -- they even have a statue of a famous cow! And it actually is a nice, authentic, Ontario small city / large town to visit. Check out their website. http://www.city.woodstock.on.ca/

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ontario - Werid Question

CanProf~

Didn't know that about Woodstock and I live half an hour from there! :o)

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ontario - Werid Question

Thanks CanProf, didn't know that either! This site is great!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ontario - Werid Question

Mooooo! Just to add, the Quality Inn in Woodstock is where I stay. They do a usually good lunch buffet and the staff (front desk and restaurant) are very friendly. Across the road are your choice of medium-brow chain restaurants (Kelsey, Pat & Mario, Montanas). The local museum is in a gorgeous building and the art gallery is one of the better I've seen for a community of its size. At a recent exhibition of works lent from local private collections I saw a couple of Group of Seven paintings so there is a bit of old money in town.